pileated woodpecker

I shot for the first time in 5 weeks today.

I was very happy to see this bird in a swamp today. I had gone looking for gbh nests but they were too far away.

She stuck around for awhile before flying away - right over my head in fact. It was cloudy and I do wish the light was better. I also had to crop these more than I usually like to crop.

But all in all I am happy. Here are 3.

1249815007_bfsNn-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1249815010_cXKWR-X3.jpg

1249815012_RvJtB-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful light if you ask me Allan. Seems like your images shine with lighting and disagree with you wanting better lighting? Anyway, she is great. Was the male around?
Nice images, well done.

Great find and a great set. If it were me, I would go back and "camp out" at this possible nest site. I am sure the male will be around as well...and soon, you may just see some little ones sticking their head out of that hole!

What camera body did you use on these?

D

DW Brewer

Ditto ehat Jason said. That looks as a nest cavity for sure.

Great find and a great set. If it were me, I would go back and "camp out" at this possible nest site. I am sure the male will be around as well...and soon, you may just see some little ones sticking their head out of that hole!

What camera body did you use on these?

Thanks for the comments. I hope this is a nest. The woodpecker was cleaning out the hole in the tree.

The only problem with this location is parking. It is at the end of a residential neighborhood with no on street parking. There are only 3 parking spots at the head of the trail.

D300s - need the reach.

Latest threads

Top Bottom