Pilgrimage to Medjugorje (adding first pics)

My friends

I had the opportunity to spend a few days in the area of Medjugorje for a pilgrimage, home of a religious phenomenon that can easily rival with the more famous Fatima, Portugal and Lourdes, France.

For those of you that have never heard of it, here's the english webpage:
http://medjugorje.hr/en

I went there with another 80-ish pilgrims on a bus, leaving from Southern Italy, reaching Ancona on the Adriatic coast, then taking a ferry boat overnight to arrive in Split, Croatia, from where our bus took us all to Medjugorje within another 3-4 hours of driving and the Bosniac border crossing. Overall, 1 day and half to arrive.
I came back yesterday and today I have to go to North where I live. In the next few days I'll have to check about 1 thousand pics dividing them for the moments and I'll upload them. Actually, although noone ever asked me anything, it happened I became "THE" photographer of the whole group both for skill, gear, will and passion. I've always loved all is around men (and women of course) and religious events are something that may be either lived superficially or reveal the real nature and feelings of people.

In the next posts - once in northern Italy, I'll try to show and describe you some of the moments we lived. On our way back we had the opportunity to stop for the morning mass in Loreto, a place which is absolutely unique and a "must-see" for the lovers or religious architectures/historical places. I had never been there and I thought it was one of the many sanctuaries (although it has the House of Virgin Mary rebuilt in it since the Middle Age, this is is why it's so famous) but I was completely wrong. The whole burg is a fortified castle with impressive outer walls and architecture. I mean, it's not "only" the church but the whole town to be a jewel.

I'll show you them some images from the gone trip, from Abruzzo, a lost pearl and often underestimated against the more famous Tuscany (way too overestimated in my opinion), the ferry boad, the wild and nice Croatia and the depressed Bosnia (at least til Medjugorje it was really an ugly place with sparse houses, concrete supermarkets and gas stations, no real towns, trees and bushes everywhere - in a word a messy place). Croatia is more similar to Abruzzo, a wilder but more ordinated and pleasant place for the eye.

Of course after the pics in Medjugorje related to the religious activities and apparitions, on our way back I'll show you the few pics I took in Loreto, included a sort of flash mob dance set up by some other pilgrims come there from Apulia that we joined very gladly.

I'll tell you more about that later... stay tuned !

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great shots there Dino - did you take your Zeiss lenses with you?

I would very much like to see some of your shots from Abruzzo. My wife is from that region and I have never been back with her to visit, but plan to in the future :smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ciao Scott
they have been taken with Zeiss lenses only. Despite the panoramas and the mountain climbing are still to be uploaded, you can still have a better idea of the mood there. I admit trip pics (the ones along the road from Battipaglia to Ancona and those from Spalato to Medjugorje) might look a little different (maybe due to the fact they were taken in .jpg)
Abruzzo and Croatia - as said are both wild and somehow inspiring, Bosnia gives you more the idea of a messy place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greetings and prayers from the Hill of Apparitions, the Podbrdo

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom