Pilgrimage with VR80-400 (1)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Gilles, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I went today to a place of pilgrimage "Notre Dame du Cap, to test the BIL new lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  2. I really like the pcitures.

The DOF on number 1 is very good. All the colors are vibrant.

My lense lust has begun anew.

3. Ray, when I go out most of the time in town to take pictures, I take only one lens at a time, that way you have to find ways and subjects that fit that lens and learn how to use it properly. Sure I would I like to have with me a wide angle lens but I will go back an use another lens and find other subjects to photograph. That place is only about 10 minutes from home.

4. Nice series again Gilles. They are all good but the third is awesome. BTW, this is a excellent advice to take one lens at the time, I will try it.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Gilles! Having such a beautiful place so close to your home offers many opportunities to go back with single lenses, etc. I usually drive an hour or more to get to shooting locations, so I take a backpack full of gear. But, when I get there, I often do the same thing - walk around for a while with a single lens and look for opportunities to use that one. Thanks for sharing that beautiful place.

6. Benoit and Don, it's like you said Don you leave with a lot of lenses and end up using only one.

When I first got the digital i was always going far away to take pictures thinking that there were more opportunity. I thought there was nothing to photograph in my town but the more I go out around the more I discover some opportunity on small street that got ignore before thinking there was nothing worth to look at.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice images!

What focal lengths did you use for these (particularly the bridge photo).

Were they all hand-held?

8. Ken i use 145mm 1/13 f16, ISO 100, color 5900K and center-weighted. For the opening of the lens i looked at Bjorn site to find the better opening for that particular lens which is f11 but i use f16 to have a little more deph of field.

Focal length #1 80, #2 240, #3 145, #4 270, #5 145mm.

What do you think of the first picture, would the use of a flash on the personnage be better?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It's hard to judge that, not being there. A little diffuesd light may have brought out a few more of the features, but it all also might have detracted from the overall feel of the shot.

I loaded your photo into Nikon Capture and use the D-Lighting feature to get some idea of how some extra light in the personnage would look like, here is how NC "interpreted" it:

41468987_0cf51e0a27_o.

10. Ken, it look more like what i want to reach. Thank you

11. You have strung together a nice series of shots here Gilles. My two favorites are the first and last.

12. The place I shoot those is not far from home; if you have any suggestions about how I can retake the pictures, like changing angles, DOF, proportions, etc. I would gladly accept your tips.