Pine Grosbeak

Pine%20Grosbeak%203180-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Such a beautifully colored bird and he fits into his environment perfectly.
Thanks for your feedback Gordon..much appreciated
One detail I prefer about your second photo is that all of the bird is sharply in focus, at least at the small file size posted here. I just wish that you have a composition more similar to the first photo combined with the entire bird being in focus of the second photo.
I hear you Mike..I'll look at some of the other photos taken of this subject and see whether any of them addresses these suggestions.

Here's another shot, similar to the one above but not so much a crop.
Pine%20Grosbeak%203185-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Are they common there? Nice photo of a female! Just now there were 35 of them at my two black sunflower seed feeders. At times there may be 60+ here, and it's fun watching the young beg the adults for food, as as soon as they can fly the young will sit in a tree squawking for food.

Are they common there? Nice photo of a female! Just now there were 35 of them at my two black sunflower seed feeders. At times there may be 60+ here, and it's fun watching the young beg the adults for food, as as soon as they can fly the young will sit in a tree squawking for food.
They tend to pass through this time of the year...usually about a half dozen ...have yet to see young in a tree squawking....would be a nice sight.

Our pine grosbeaks stay here year round. The young start fledging in early July, and will beg for food for about a month. There is a period when they don't come to our feeders as they have ample spruce cones to eat. When they are feeding young, they will empty our feeders in a couple hours, but I will only fill them once a day, and try to force them to eat natural foods which are plentiful in summer and autumn. The last migrants to leave are trumpeter swans, which leave when our lakes freeze (about 7 weeks ago). Right now, there are no pine grosbeaks at our feeders, but about 20 black-capped chickadees and an equal number of boreal chickadees are enjoying the feeders.

Our pine grosbeaks stay here year round. The young start fledging in early July, and will beg for food for about a month. There is a period when they don't come to our feeders as they have ample spruce cones to eat. When they are feeding young, they will empty our feeders in a couple hours, but I will only fill them once a day, and try to force them to eat natural foods which are plentiful in summer and autumn. The last migrants to leave are trumpeter swans, which leave when our lakes freeze (about 7 weeks ago). Right now, there are no pine grosbeaks at our feeders, but about 20 black-capped chickadees and an equal number of boreal chickadees are enjoying the feeders.
We always have a sufficient supply of chickadees..

Latest threads

Top Bottom