Pineapple patience

A few years ago my wife read somewhere that if you plant the top of a pineapple after eating you can grow your own plant. Well, after 3 short years and multiple pineapple tops planted beneath our palm trees, we had our first fruit.
2021072412272098-536667678607838782-IMG_5334-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Today it ripened.
2021072412272098--4972176114827772253-IMG_5604-XL.jpg

3. It was actually delicious! Very sweet.
2021072412272098--5967758002095080573-IMG_5606-XL.jpg

We have a second one still growing which is about 50% larger than this one. Eight other plants are also in various stages.

Good to know. Guess it helps to live in a tropical climate.

I'll be interested to learn if your homegrown ones are as good as the original.

Jim, the fruit was not as colorful as the original "Gold" pineapple, but it was very sweet and juicy. I would say the taste rivaled the original. Keep in mind that my wife merely dug a hole and put the top in the ground. We don't water or fertilize that area at all.

That must be very gratifying!
It is! Maybe that's why it tastes so sweet. My wife is an avid composter. We have 5 papaya trees that we've planted after they grew out of her compost bins. My problem is that I don't like papaya!

Oh, that is so cool! Definitely an advantage of living where you do, being able to plant something like that and get results!
We're lucky, Connie. We can get some cold weather here in the winter months which I thought would doom the pineapples. The past few winters have been very temperate. One freeze and I suspect our pineapple grove would be gone.

We can get some cold weather here in the winter months which I thought would doom the pineapples.
I lived as a child in Lake Placid, which is in the southern part of central Florida. My parents regularly played bridge with a couple that owned a small pineapple plantation. I'll never forget the beauty of the field the time it turned so cold that they turned on the water sprinklers so the frozen ice would help insulate the plants from the cold air.

That is really neat, Mitch!! I had no idea how a pineapple plant is started. Do they only get one pineapple per plant? I had a volunteer zucchini come up this year.....of course, it's doing great. The problem is that I really don't like zucchini.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom