pinecone

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Another find from my afternoon walk w/my kids yesterday. Ryan and Benjamin thought it was really funny that their mom was laying in the road just to get a pic of a pinecone. I was glad I did because I just don't think it would have been the same if I had snapped it from standing or even squatting.

20761828-L.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, Leigh, nice pics, but just make sure that there are no guys in white coats hanging around when you take another one like this.... :lol:

I have to agree with you on the perspective issue. The biggest critique that I've gotten of my floating bird shots is that I didn't get down low enough. You sure got low enough on this one. :wink:

Frank

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know, prone shooting is my number one complaint with dSLRs. My previous camera was a CP 950 with a swivel LCD, so I could remain in a comfortable position. Before that I used a Mamiya 645, and I'd switch to the waist-level finder for low perspective shooting. But with the D100, or any of my previous eye-level SLRs, it is a pain (in back, knees, wrists, etc. What can I say, I'm gettin' old.)

Nice pinecone Leigh. Sorry they laughed. Punish them. ;)

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Frank....we live out in the country so I seriously doubt any whitecoaters are hanging around. Our neighborhood is very quiet w/very little traffic so I felt it was safe to take a chance on this shot.

Chris, I didn't want to punish them...I figured if they can't laugh at their mom, who can they laugh at??? I just wish I'd thought to turn the camera on them when they were laughing. Except I wasn't laughing 'cause I skinned my elbow on the road!

Thanks you guys!

5. Good job on getting the low down perspective, have you ever thought of an Angle Finder I have one and its one of my favorite accessories, and the magnification is great for manual focusing, I wouldn't be with out it.

Martin

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Martin, I guess I'll show my inexperience and say I don't know what it is. Does it work w/a CoolPix? That's what I'm currently using.

7. Nice....that has to be the first pinecone I have seen in the Cafe!! :D :D :D :D

8. Sorry I forgot your using a Coolpix, they work with dslr/slr cameras and attach to the viewfinder, allowing viewing from a 90 degree angle plus they also swivel 360 degrees and a switch to increase magnification.

I use the Canon Angle Finder C with my D70, it comes with an adapter that works well.

Martin

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice !!!!!!

Leigh that is very pretty,

Looks better than the one I took. Guess I better soup mine up a bit.

I take pics of feathers and any other darn thing I can find. hahahahaha

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I like yours too Gale....glad i'm not the only one taking pictures of pinecones! I'm w/you...I'll take pictures of just about anything I can find these days just to challenge myself. That's really what that shot was all about anyway. I have been trying to pick ordinary objects and try to see them more creatively. Even if that means laying down on the ground to get the shot. Keep up the good work Gale!

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Dawg....now, as Gale has shown, I'm not the only one who finds pinecones interesting subject matter....now you get out there and shoot one and let's see what you come up w/!

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    You go girls!!!!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL Patrick,

Guess you think we are just nutzo !!!!!!

14. Cone heads yes, and a little nutso if the birds haven't eaten them all. :lol: :lol:

Cute pictures you two.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cone heads,

You hear that Leigh. We are now tagged with that..

Gordon,

I can handle the nutzo part.....

:>))))))))))

How to make photography fun.

16. I found a pinecone, it was out back grazing in the deep grasses, it took all my stealth skills and I got nice and close. They scare easily and I didn't want it turning on me.

[​IMG]

Not sure about the species but I think its the Common Yard Pinecone.

Martin

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Martin,

Must be a different breed. Ours lay all over the place and pose. Real groupies. They arive enmass.

I see (?) you have a rare species. :>))

18. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    No,no,no....I believe the problem that Martin is having is that pinecones are male....since Gale and I are both female we have an upper hand advantage. See, the pinecones lay there waiting in anticipation of mating season....thyn run away when another male approaches. :D

Seriously though, nice shot Martin! Very artistic. I like how you see just enough of it to know what it is. I bet it would look lovely printed and framed.

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What a bunch of coneheads.... 8)

Bwahahahahahaha.... :lol:

You ladies will never live that name down.

Just kidding of course. :wink:

Frank

20. Lol......great replies, nice to see the humour.

Glad you liked it Leigh, I think my artistic side is slowly coming out.

Martin