Pinhole Images

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by jon.oman, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Tried this for the first time today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting process. The f-stop of the pinhole is f/180, with the focal length of 50mm. Shutter times ranged from 1/2 second to 8 seconds. Everything is in focus, but diffraction effects make everything super soft.

Jon

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Those are much better than mine, my pinhole is actually an oval in the Nikon cap:

[​IMG]

Versus the Nikkor 50mm:

[​IMG]

3. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Shoe box?, 35mm?, Home built?

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Just the Nikon body cap, with a small hole:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course a camera obscura box would be much better, like a big one.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Do a search on google for pinehole images.
    Amazing what folks do

6. Phil,

That is still not bad, considering what you are working with! I bought my pinhole cap, with a laser drilled hole.

I really need to try this again!

Jon

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    please show us some of your pics when you get a chance! i've found that pinholes acheive an artistic blur effect that is different from out-of-focus blur and thus not acheivable from lenses. i think it is equivalent to f/150 or so. taking pictures of colorful objects (such as flowers) and turning up the saturation in photoshop creates some very beautiful images.

PS. you can also get some very unique effects using elliptical holes or squarish holes.

8. I believe, if memory serves me, the thinner the material in which the hole is poked, the sharper the image will be. I made one out of a shoe box once and used a piece of black painted brass of about .020" thickness. The hole was punched with a needle while the brass sheet was resting on a piece of wood. Exposures were extremely long, and Tri-X film was "pushed". But the results were remarkable.

9. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego

That's pretty big, for a pinhole. I have a piece of aluminum foil taped over the hole drilled in my lens cap. I used a needle to make the aperture in the aluminum foil. It's still too big, but much better.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I read many years ago a how-to make your own pinhole. A thin sheet of brass to start, then take a center punch and dimple the center, but don't go all the way thru. Take a small, fine file and file off the top of the dimple until there is just barely a hole there. I made one about 30 years ago, worked quite well. (Though, I guess lasers can do a better job these days....)

12. The f/180 really shows the dust bunnies! The only thing I've done to clean the senser is to use a rocket blower. Maybe it is time for a wet cleaning!

Jon

13. A Friend puts a 3/8" hole in the cap and then uses aluminum cans or whatever thin material for the pin hole.

14. looks like fun. I might try it.

15. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Jon & Folks,

Greetings. I thought, shouldn't aluminum foil work? So...

[​IMG]

Not so bad for the 5 minute experiment (some PS adjustments, but not more than I usually do... [okay, so I usually do a lot but...]).

I'd guess some of the softness is the handheld 1/13 sec exposure... Need lotsa light for the f/very large aperture. Even at ISO 400... very noisy. Better get me a D3 :wink:...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

16. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Many years ago when some of my friends were playing with this technique, we drilled a fairly large hole in the cap and used some thin machinists plastic shim stock (.005") with various holes drilled in them. Just taped the shim/hole selection on the cap and clicked! Have fun, I have seen some wonderful and interesting shots!

(Reminds me of the first "real" pinhole camera we built from a cardboard box in Boy Scouts)