Pinhole

ParkBench1_bw02.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was shot with a homemade 8x10 inch pinhole camera. 8x10 inch x-ray film. Processed in D76.

Just shows you can make an image without a lens!

D7F_1565_nef.jpg

The 8x10 is on the left. The 4x5 is on the right. Big brother and little brother.

On the 4x5 you can see a metal plate that is drilled and threaded for connecting the tripod.

The V shaped guides are to determine the image framing. Sight down from each side.

The swing paddle covers the pinhole, and is the shutter.

On the 8x10, you can see a film holder. The 4x5 does not have its holder installed.

The film holder is held in place with a wood wedge, between a wood panel, and a horizontal dowel.

There are bubble levels to level the camera.

Everything is painted inside and out with flat black paint.

By the way, some of my exposures were up to one hour in length. So you need to be patient!

In this image, the exposure was 14 minutes. I wanted a ghost image, so I got up at 7 minutes. I should have gotten up at 5?

SelfPortrait.jpg

Last edited:
How long to develop the Xray film? Do you still need to develop in total darkness? There use to be a site where you could get various foils with different pinhole sizes/aperatures but haven't seen anything on them in awhile.

How long to develop the Xray film? Do you still need to develop in total darkness? There use to be a site where you could get various foils with different pinhole sizes/aperatures but haven't seen anything on them in awhile.

I actually found my notes!

Image created: 02/04/2013

8x10 pinhole camera
400 micron pinhole
120mm (from film to pinhole)
f300

Green Laditude X-ray film rated at 80 ISO
15 minute, 38 second exposure

D76 full strength
6 minutes, 50 seconds @ 65 degrees F.

I had two 5x7 inch safe lights in the darkroom with Kodak glass red filters. I can't remember the number (25?) but it is normally used for graphic arts film (lithographic). The safelights were at least five feet away.

I used 8x10 dip and dunk tanks.

X-ray film has an emulsion on both sides, and scratches easily when wet. Therefore tanks are better than trays.

For pinholes, I used these: pinholes

By the way, up until last year, I had the same 4x5 view camera you have.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom