Pioneer trek with youth group (Links fixed)

Our church took our youth group to a pioneer handcart trek in Wyoming. I knew that it would be dusty there (my husband went four years ago), so I decided that I did not want to take my DSLR. I took my E-M5 and my Canon s90. I forgot how poor the battery life is on the E-M5. The trek was for three days. Half way through the first day, one battery was already used up. I only have three batteries. So I took out my Canon s90. The dust got worse, and I was glad that I had the Canon to use. There were DSLR users there that had their expensive gear just covered in dust. I am happy with the photos that I got. I have about 400 that I am post processing and I plan to make a slideshow for the kids. What a great experience we had!!

Here are a few shots.

p1851336980.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1204200

View attachment 1204202

View attachment 1204204

View attachment 1204205

View attachment 1204206

View attachment 1204207

View attachment 1204208

Last edited by a moderator:
Those came out great Terri - I especially like the second one and the last one. I didn't look at the EXIF to see which camera was used for any particular shot, but it's certainly not obvious just viewing them here in the forum.

Those came out great Terri - I especially like the second one and the last one. I didn't look at the EXIF to see which camera was used for any particular shot, but it's certainly not obvious just viewing them here in the forum.

2nd and last were both with the P&S. Thanks.

Looks like fun Terri! Reminds me of when I was a kid and they let us play the Oregon Trail on old Apple II computers...but this is the real deal!

Happy young faces make every snap a serious portrait. Fun stuff. This was my favorite...

p1714194003.png

Looks like fun Terri! Reminds me of when I was a kid and they let us play the Oregon Trail on old Apple II computers...but this is the real deal!

It was the real deal. Where we went was the place where the Willie and Martin handcart companies got stuck in a horrible fall snowstorm in Wyoming when they were already starving and out of food. Many people died. The stories of heroism and faith are really inspiring. It made my modern problems seem pretty small. I think hearing the stories had a big impact on the kids.

Ah memories...
I say memories because as kids, me & my sister used to love to watch "Little House On The Prairie" :smile:

This was the real deal...except for the fact we had potato chips, fruit drinks, candy, etc. But each kid only got to bring his plastic bucket with his supplies and absolutely no electronics.

Here are a few more....
My group in the cove where the pioneers gathered to wait out the storm. Many died in this location.
p1818884947.png

A couple of my friends who volunteered to be Ma and Pa to a group of six kids.
View attachment 1204223
A couple of the girls on the 9 hour bus ride.
View attachment 1204224
This girl lives across the street from me....
View attachment 1204225
Crossing the Sweetwater. The handcart groups we honored had to cross it when it was partially frozen. Many died from the effects of getting wet in such adverse conditions. The conditions for photography here were terrible. I've tried to bring up the shadows and take down the highlights a lot in PP.
View attachment 1204226

View attachment 1204227

View attachment 1204228

Thanks for posting another excellent set. My niece went on hers years ago along with my brother. He always he had fun but I wonder.

Well done Terri.
Interesting(sad) facts and great photos.

Did you dress the part too?

I did....Here is a group shot I am in. It was taken around noon in the harshest light you can imagine. It took a lot of PP to make it usable. I am on the far right. Luckily the wind kept us from getting too hot. Doubt if I ever wear hiking shoes with a skirt ever again. The brim on the pioneer hats were so annoying. They needed to be stiffer. We all kept folding them back so we could see. It was fun to live in another time period for three days.

p1867772185.png

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom