Piping Plover chick

I was out on the beach early this morning hoping to find a chick or two. I saw a friend's jeep but did not see him on the beach. I shot images of adults but did not find a chick. About two hours later I tried another section of the beach and saw 3 chicks scampering around. By then the light was harsh but I shot what was in front of me. This was horizontally and I cropped a bit off the top and bottom and then narrowed it to try to show "little chick in big world."

i-JFQcBdR-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot Allan and such detail. I assume this was with the D800. I have found the D800 does a pretty good job even in harsh light. I sure do like this one. You are the master of the shorebirds.

Thanks for the comments.
To answer Louie's question, I am not sure. I have to do more color balance to individual images which I did not have to do with my D300s and D3X. I also am not sure about focusing. I know I do not have the left focus problem but when I attemted to fine tune the 600 with 14 tc combo I came out with -18. The image above came out well but a lot of the shots of stationary pp adults seemed soft. (I do not use the chicks for an indication of fine tune accuracy as the do not stay still for very long.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom