Pittsburgh, Pa. = Most Livable City

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Electromen, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Rand McNally's "Places Rated Almanac" ranked us #1 in the U.S.

379 metropolitan areas in the U.S. were researched.
    Decisions were based on Recreation, Education, Transprotation, Arts, Culture, Restaurants, Historic districts, Health Care, Crime, Economy, Housing and Climate.

Top Ten Cities
    1. Pittsburgh
    2. San Francisco
    3. Seattle
    4. Portland Ore.
    5. Philadelphia
    6. Rochester, N.Y.
    7. Washington
    8. San Jose-Sunnyvale, Calif.
    9. Boston
    10. Madison, Wis.

Worst = Goldsboro, N.C.

2. Interesting. What I'm wondering the worst is Goldsboro, N.C.?
    That is a very small town compared to the others. Also, I remember it
    as a nice place to live...maybe it's changed?

3. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I am definitely biased, but one must note that Philadelphia has had more homicides than NYC thus far this year. And its population is 1.5 million where as NYC is 8 million. I went to school at UPENN but always felt safer in NYC :)

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    lmao

Goldsboro is a crappy city, but I can't imagine it being the WORST! lol

It's a military town, but honestly it really isn't THAT bad. I commuted to and worked in that town for about 6-8 months. Granted it bit of a shite-hole, but hmmm...most unlivable place in the US... haha

5. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Not one city on the list was in the South, good! Now everyone pack their bags and move to the promis land. Most on that list have grid lock traffic, gangs, cold weather, and really nasty air. Seattle and Portland sound ok to me but you can have my part of the rest of them. And I lived in Goldsboro for a year when I was a kid and the fishing was good. Stupid list.

6. San Jose? Only if you are wealthy enough to spend $1M on an average suburban tract home. :rolleyes:

7. I'm also biased. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. Moved away when I was 22 (quite a few years ago), and haven't missed it a bit! Hard to believe it's #1 .... (sorry Greg!).

8. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I also was surprised to see Philadelphia on the list. Philly is a real rough city these days and it's good areas are very few. The Philly suburbs are a vastly growing and nice area, but not the city.

9. Why Pittsburgh?

The mayor, age 28, said today, Pittsburgh isn't recognized as being the best at any one thing. However we are very good at the many of the little things. We are still recognized as the original melting pot of European diversity.

Our weather is bad at times, but people from the 'burgh take pride in this city. Take a walk along downtown streets and see how clean it is.

It wasn't always like this. When I grew up in the 60's and 70's, at times you couldn't see two city blocks at mid day because of steel mill pollution.

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

tap...tap...tap...Honolulu is in the United States, although many neuvo 20 year old media gurus probably can't even find it on a globe....I'd say we probably rank up there with respect to most of the criteria mentioned.