PK-13 + 55mm Micro Nikkor, metering?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PeteZ28, Sep 6, 2008.

1. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I was recently given a 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor by my uncle. I have a PK-3 tube that I "modified" to fit onto my D200/D300. Basicly, in a lathe, I turned down the housing so it no longer hits the lever on the body of the camera. If you look at the PK-13, it indexes off of that lever (the one around the outside of the lens mount).

The problem is it does not meter properly. I have to set exposure comp every time I stop down, or go into non-CPU lens data to set it at, say, f/22.

If I get a PK-13 tube, will the camera accuratly meter when I stop down with the aperature ring?

2. Pete,

Yes, the PK-13 will meter with AI lenses and AI capable camera bodies like the PN-11 that came with my 104 f/4 AI Micro. I went looking for my PK-13 and could not find it. Oh well, don't use something for 10 or so years and look what happens :smile:

Here is a link to Mir.Com.My Page on 55mm Micro

Warm regards,

3. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Bill, thanks for the quick reply. I think my uncle had one of those in the bag too. He shoots Canon but inherited a few Nikon AF lenses and a low end AF film body a few years ago. Nothing really good except the Micro and a 28/2.8. I'll have to ask him if I can have the PK-13 that is "supposed" to go with the macro lens :wink:

4. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    At least my PN-11 works and meters fine with D200/D300, so, PK-13 should work also.

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    PK-13 meters fine with my AIS 105/2.8 on D200. It is an auto tube which allows the aperture of the lens to be fully open when focusing but closes down when you release the shutter.

My old M and E2 extension tubes (non AI) are not auto, meaning that when I twist the aperture ring on the lens the aperture actually closes immediately causing a very dark viewfinder image. Otherwise these work fine and metering works perfectly as well.

With D200/D300 any tube would work and give good metering, even bellows, or ad-hoc homemade tubes from tissue paper rolls.