Places to shoot near in Eastern Ohio and Columbus?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by JMartin, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

We are heading back home to Ohio for a wedding in September. We stay at Jennifer's parents which is across the Ohio River from Wheeling, WVa.

While we are there I usually make it over to Wheeling to shoot at Ogelby Park, the Good Zoo and such. Is there some place else that is a must shoot place in eastern Ohio, Northwest WVa or Southwest PA?

While there we are also heading to Columbus to stay at her brothers for a few days, just curious if there is any place around the central Ohio/Columbus area that is a must stop.

I am originally from Dayton and know a lot of places there, though we rarely if ever make it over to that side of the state.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. Hi Joe,

If you are into animals, I can recommend the Columbus Zoo. You can check out some of the photos I have posted in "Birds & Animals"
    The zoo website:
    http://www.colszoo.org

Another spot you might want to check out is The Wilds. It is south of Zanesville and covers 10,000 acres. We were there several years ago, but they were just in the process of getting open for the first time. Note that they are only open certain days of the week. You ride in a vehicle through the pens for the animals (mostly African & Asian), except the pens are about 500 acres each with fair sized herds of some of the animals. Here is their website:
    http://www.thewilds.org
    Each year I keep saying we will go again, but it never seems to happen. Please post some photos if you go to The Wilds.

If you are into plants, Dawes Arboretum east of Newark might be interesting. It is another big place.
    http://www.dawesarb.org

Bob & Nan

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thank you for the response and the info!

We are actually members to the Lowry Park Zoo here in Tampa and get into the Columbus Zoo free, so always make that a stop while we are there.

The Wilds and the Dawes Arboretum sound really awesome. I can't believe I haven't heard of them before, they are definately being added to the list.

Joe

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Bob,

Just got back from Ohio today and we had planned on making it to the Wilds, but it ended up a no go.

We had a wedding the first weekend so had planned on going Wed. morning on the way back to Jen's parents from Columbus. We checked their schedule again while in Columbus when we discovered this small tidbit:

So we called to see if we could schedule a tour and they told us they weren't doing tours other than the regular weekend tours. :frown:

Guess we will have to make it on the next trip.