Places to shoot while in Florida

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Louis Champan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I plan on visiting the Ft. Lauderdale and Venice areas for a few days each around mid to late November and wondering about if there are any suggestions on where I might go to do shoot birds?

Thanks Louie

2. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Louie,

Check out HarryB's post about The annual Spacecoast Birding and Wildlife Festival from 11/16/05 through 11/20/05.

I know there was also some discussions about having the Merritt Island 3 outting in November. Other than that Backdoctor, Gale, HarryB just to name a couple will be able to help you with places in that area of FL.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your time in Florida.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gaye,
    Will be back and she is on the west coast and can tell you about the rookery and shooting areas there. Also sanibel island is over there. You will love that.

Cheers.. Hope we get a chance to meet up with you.
    I live by Harry.

4. Louie, can't speak to Ft Lauderdale but I believe in the Venice area there is a rookery. Try doing a google search on "Venice rookery". I'm pretty sure I've seen websites about it, some even complete with photos.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Louie,
    I live on the west coast of Florida near Sanibel Island. I go to the Venice Rookery in the winter and spring and it's great. You can find it on its website which you can 'google'.... It's a tiny is island. The alligators protect it so it can be a rookery. They keep the raccoons and critters that like to eat eggs etc. off the island.
    Then if you feel like it you should come down here to the Sanibel Island area and go to Ding Darling Wildlife Sanctuary...I was there last November with a Ron Reznick group and it was great.... Also think about going to the Corkscrew Swamp Preserve which is south of me a few miles on I-75. And we also have the Six Mile Cypress Preserve ..
    You will find birds everywhere around here so come on down. Let me know if I can be of any help in locating these places.

Gaye