planting new apple trees when area ready

We used to had 2 apple trees and a pear tree but they hardly had any fruit so we took them out. I suggested a little alteration in another part of another "flower" bed that had two huge bushes that did nothing apart from putting out a bit of greenery. So today started a project to have them out and replace with 2x apple and a plum or pear tree.

This is what we took out today

how it was

ZyGLPEV.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

now with the top removed we then cut up that which had been taken off and bagged up
c2b5UyM.jpg

What a struggle to remove the stump. It took me 3 hours to clear around it with cutting roots, even then my son helped get it out of the ground. A real pig to shift, longest part was getting down to the main roots nearly 2ft below the surface. Filled a wheelbarrow full of earth that was removed and still had to dig out more

buy this time it was 4.30pm and getting dark

nWtJIdY.jpg

Tomorrow that will be cut up, I have a chain saw, after the earth is removed from the stump. Then tackling the other tree on the left. This when all cleared should make a decent place for the new trees to go in. The Boss "er indoors" has to decide on which trees she wants, then go and get them
Our garage is full of bags of garden rubbish waiting to go down the council tip at the moment, but we do have a very large garage to store it all in

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You might want to consider planting one greengage tree. I have a couple of those, they grow faster and are tough and more reliable than apple, pear, or plum.
Be careful with the chainsaw, I'm scared of mine.

Hi
Don't think the BOSS wants greengages but thanks for the idea. When I use mine I insist I don't get distracted and everyone has to keep well back. Last thing needs worrying about is someone too close or giving you a lot of verbal. That trunk in the last photo is now all cut into logs and ready for the dump. Took one load there this morning

day 2

Yet another trip to the dump completed this morning and attacked the other bush as well. Managed to get it out and just got to get the earth off the stump. still in bottom picture

siuVP2I.jpg

apart from that the area is now ready to prepared for whatever digging over and fertilizer.

xrLvyKM.jpg

Just measured and it about 20ft cleared, so looks like just 2 apple trees

Update
Just ordered the trees both apple, one is a "James Grieve" and the other is called " Fiesta " (both are M27 ). should be delivered in 5/7 days
ground now ready for them

Last edited:
f6gS1Xk.jpg

Just unpacked in here. Too windy outside to leave as is incase they fall over

Massive great stakes to give them support as well, not those that came with the tree as in photo

Last edited:
here you are little apple trees your new home

I was worrying if these new apple trees would survive all this wet weather. So just been out to check and very tiny red tips on the branches have got a bit bigger

So fingers crossed so far so good as they say

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom