Plasmodial slime moulds (not for everyone!)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Attached is my first attempt with the D2X and Nikkor 200 Micro on one of my favorite photo subjects---a plasmodial slime mould (or mold, if you prefer). The erect spore-producing bodies (sporangia) of this particular one are ca. 4-5mm tall, rather small for this genus. They often get to an inch or so tall.
    You can see the outer rind of the sporocarp (spore-producing body) breaking away on a number of these, thus releasing minute, brown powdery spores. This particular one is not very attractive and the photo leaves a lot to be desired. These slime moulds occur on moist, rotting logs and you may have seen them (other genera) coming out of moist mulch or sawdust and the plasmodial part (the feeding stage of the slime mould) climbing up and round rose bushes and such (digesting bacteria). These typically look like yellow slime (or perhaps something worse but won't go there). If this didn't tax the D2X it certainly taxed me as I simply couldn't see to manually focus on them. Also used full flash at + 3. Other pertinent info on the pic.
    [​IMG]

My best,
    Jerry Snider

2. Don't know why but makes me feel liking having a good shampoo... :?

As usual Jerry, you come up with the most amazingly detailed macros!

Regards,
    Jonathan

3. Jerry you made me search the internet to find out what those critters where, very nice shot.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
  5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the comments. Actually, I returned to take more photos and these measured ca. 3-4mm tall and I could barely see them with my naked eye in moist, dark woods on decomposing log. Didn't know whether I should put them on this site as many (most?) folks likely have no idea what these are. May gross folks out, I don't know. Some are quite colorful, bright reds and oranges, and they make great pets :lol: !
    Jerry Snider

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

Of course you should post them here. Where else? :lol:

Not only is this a very good image, your narrative is quite interesting and informative. I learned something new from it. And when your post is intriguing enough to cause someone to do a little research, you know you are on the right track. :wink:

7. Fabulous shot!
    I love fungi in general but slime moulds are really strange creatures.
    Cheers

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jerry,

I will no be looking more closely at things in places.

Excellent images and information.

Thank You

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Harry, I have gotten more college students turned on to slime molds you simply couldn't believe. Indeed, they have discovered that reproductive histories of most organisms can be quite fascinating. Although I study mosses and lichens myself (cytology, taxonomy, morphology, chemistry) I find plasmodial slime molds to be interesting. Under the microscope the spore bearing structures can really be works of art (you have to trust me on this!). Thanks for the comments.
    Jerry Snider

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gale, move slow, look (real) close! And if on a moist, cool morning you see something like a huge yellow/orange blob moving from your mulch up on the rose bushes or the shaded side of the house, don't panic. Not something from UFO's (as was once reported in a national newspaper) but merely a slime mold. Once the sun pops out they will dry up and die (unfortunately).
    Jerry Snider

11. Jerry,

Once again, this is an outstanding capture. I really enjoyed your narrative and image. Perhaps I will get lucky some morning. I am going to have to put the 70-180 micro, 5T, and 6T through their paces based upon your captures. :D