1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Plated Desserts, Need C&C!

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by iShoot, Aug 30, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I brought my white box into my Plated Desserts Class today, I need some C&C. I've used the white box before and the same set up, but everything doesnt look right to me, like exposure. Would it be because the plates are white? The other items i photographed before were not white. Any Advice?

Set up: Two 6500K lamps on the side, and SB800 in the back of the box, the box is semi transperant.

2810564426_b916369ab3_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2810563388_df077cf07d_b.jpg

2. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Not a terrible photo, you just nuked the white a little. The good news is that you didn't completely blow out the white, and the image is still usable; it just needed some tweaking in photoshop. I did a 2 minute quick version, you can fix it to fit your "taste" (bad pun)

If you don't like the changed image, I will remove it.

NCEdit.jpg

3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    The top of the first one is way too bright and the focus isn't too good near the bottom. Also the sliced fruit, particularly the lower slice, doesn't look very fresh.

On the second one the exposure is close but my preference would be to tone it down just a little. I'd also play with the placement of the bowl and the angle of the shot a bit. Shooting more vertically would let us see more of your desert and maybe also eliminate the black line on the bottom of the tray. A shallower bowl might also work to show more of the desert. Moving the bowl away from the back corner and closer to the lonely sliced fruit would fill in some of the empty space and might look more balanced. I'd also try to eliminate the small shadows from the sticks and the internal reflections in the bowl.

But then again, if I was shooting this myself, all I'd be thinking about is finding a spoon.:biggrin:

4. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Thanks guys!

The no so fresh fruit is dried apricots that were reconstituted in water.

5. I find #1 hard to look at.....at first I was seeing it as if a reflection.....perhaps white plate/white background is the issue? I do agree on toning it down, and increasing DOF for a future shoot.

#2 looks fantastic, my eye is much more at ease.

Now where is my fork??? :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.