Plates for Markins Q-Ball Q10i

I am seriously considering this head. Will be used with a D800. However, finding a plate is extremely confusing. The Markins P810U is listed as the correct plate for the D800 on the Markins site, but there isn’t a single thing on their site that is in stock and I can’t find the plate anywhere else. B&H has the head in stock, but no plate. For those of you that use the Q10 head, what are you using for plates?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I believe that Markins Q-Ball heads come with an Arca-Swiss quick release, and thus any reputable camera plate or L-bracket will work.
Maybe........ Arca Swiss clamps and plates can vary a bit from vendor to vendor. Clamps by one vendor may or may not work well with plates from another vendor.

I found this discussion from 2010 on the internet.....

"All Arca-Swiss plates will fit all screw-type Arca-Swiss clamps (like the one you linked to). Really Right Stuff makes lever-release A-S clamps that they stress are only guaranteed to hold firmly with their or Wimberley's A-S plates; other manufacturer's plates may vary slightly in size and so either not fit snugly or be too "fat" to allow the clamp to close. Markins makes a lever-release A-S clamp that has some adjustment built into it, however it is either open all the way or closed all the way. The RRS clamp has an intermediate detent where the properly-sized plate could move from side to side, but won't allow the camera to tip out of the clamp."

The size of the arca-swiss plate is not standard across the board. if you get a RRS lever clamp, then you'll have to use RRS or Wimberley plates. although i've found a couple other manufacturers to be the exact same width. however, Markins plates are not the same size or shape as RRS, but will fit in any A-S type screw clamp. you could save yourself some frustration by getting all your plates and clamps from one maker."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe........ Arca Swiss clamps and plates can vary a bit from vendor to vendor. Clamps by one vendor may or may not work well with plates from another vendor.
That’s pretty much what I seemed to be running up against. I did lots of research on this 3 or 4 years ago then put it aside for some reason. Markins was the head I decided to go with and bought an Arca-Swiss plate by Smith Vector that still sits in its package. My current head or plate is worn out. Don’t know if it’s the plate or the head, but I’d really like to step up to a real good head. The Markins site lists the P810U plate for the D800, but all their heads and plates are out of stock and I can’t find them anywhere else. I can get the head at B&H, but what good does it do without a plate.

I guess I wonder why Markins lists so many plates and why only a certain model works for the D800. I sure don’t want to spend $370 for a head that I can’t find a plate that fits it properly.

Anyone have any experience with the Markins heads and the plates you use?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom