"platform" for tripod

I saw someone with a flat platform on top of his tripod. It was attached with an arca-swiss plate and covered with a cameo cloth. He was hand holding his camera but between shots was resting it on this platform. The camera was at shoulder level and when he wanted to shoot he easily grabbed it and did not have to raise it much to get it at eye level. When he was not shooting there was no weight to hold. Oh, he did have a strap in case it sliped off the platform.

I once saw such a product at a web site but can longer find it. I have seen v-shaped attachments for rifle shooting but I don't like the v.

If anyone can lead me to this product I would appreciate it.

I saw someone with a flat platform on top of his tripod. It was attached with an arca-swiss plate and covered with a cameo cloth. He was hand holding his camera but between shots was resting it on this platform. The camera was at shoulder level and when he wanted to shoot he easily grabbed it and did not have to raise it much to get it at eye level. When he was not shooting there was no weight to hold. Oh, he did have a strap in case it sliped off the platform.

I once saw such a product at a web site but can longer find it. I have seen v-shaped attachments for rifle shooting but I don't like the v.

If anyone can lead me to this product I would appreciate it.

Something like this?
Tether Table Aero

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So a DIY rigid piece of aluminum, wood or similar surface with an arca swiss place mounted on the bottom would work?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I would sure be hesitant to set a heavy camera+lens on a surface mounted on a ball head. Just too risky that the ball head could move in any direction! Guess I'm just overly risk adverse....

But much smaller - maybe 5 by 5.
I think they have a wide range with different sizes.
I am very tempted and if it were not for your question I would not have known these were available.

Now this I like :D:D:D
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 13.00.13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Was this the guy?

DSC_1619-XL.jpg

Will Scott Randall, Sebring, FL, ws_randall@mac.com.

That data was current in April, 2016.

I corresponded with the guy. Yes, it was homemade, but apparently he has a machine shop business, and he was going to make up several and market them. I asked him to put me on his list and let me know when they were available.

He did, and the asking price was $189 plus shipping. At that price I bowed out.

About five years prior to that I had cooked up my own similar rig:

DSC_0919_sm.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Actually, this looks very doable as a DIY. Heck I would attempt it...but would not risk it with my D5 and 600MM! A piece of wood....an arca swiss plate.....some padding....not a big deal.

Actually, this looks very doable as a DIY. Heck I would attempt it...but would not risk it with my D5 and 600MM! A piece of wood....an arca swiss plate.....some padding....not a big deal.

His was all machined aluminum. When I said the price was too high his response was:

"They are expensive to build and after this batch I will probably stop building them. Everyone is use to China pricing. It can not be done in this country at low volume for much less. I guess that is why Taiwan makes most of the low and midrange cameras for Nikon. Only the expensive stuff is now made in Japan."

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
China pricing? I'm used to do it yourself solutions. Hubby hates for me to walk through Lowe's or Home Depot....or Home Goods. I can find "things" to adapt and re-purpose to fit my needs! I'm waiting for him to discover my latest "fix". In the rear seat of our Ford F350, our dog's foot would often sink into the hole for the seat belts. We discussed it, but he never got around to finding a solution. I found a clever, entertaining way to fill that hole..... It will be fun to see his expression!

Latest threads

Top Bottom