Playful Sandhills...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Nov 14, 2005.

1. went out late afternoon with Steve. He lent me his D2X and 200-400. My battery was low on my H. The sun was in and out of the clouds, mostly in the clouds. Shot these, not looking at the shutter speed to well. Shoulda pushed the iso more:

original.

original.

More to come soon. Thanks for the use of the rig Steve.
    These were shot at 460-480mm at around 1/180th sec.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harris,

You guys are killing me. In spite of the low shutter speed, these are shots that I would love to have. :wink:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I like the action and a little helps :biggrin:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that makes that BooBoo :wink:

4. You have caught some playful sandhills here Harris. Very nice action shots.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good shots Harris. You know, all that shutter speed info etc is right in the viewfinder, but, in the heat of the moment, I always forget to look at it too! :cool:

6. Nice even with the slow shutter speeds..

Yep, one of these days we should work out a trip down to Bosque del Apache for the Sandhills and Snow Geese..

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Harris. The motion is great for those images. Never saw them Play before.

Really nice.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Great captures Harris.

9. I love that first one -- you captured a great "behaviorial" moment !!

10. Thanks all. I have seen them play like this before. Funny animals they are. Very social, have a pecking order of some sorts (dont we all), and very protective of one another. Good to see they have a light side too..I wonder if it is some sort of an early mating ritual or just play.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Harris -

It's bad enough that I have to look at Steve's pix of these three guys, and now I find you posting more pix of them. Keep it up and jealousy will turn to rage! :mad: Make sure you keep these guys around until February, OK?

How did you like the 200-400VR? Were you using a tripod or using it hand-held? (I can hand-hold for only 4-5 shots, and I couldn't do that without VR.)

Gordon

12. I was using Steve's rig with tripod and sidekick. Next time I'll bring my gitzo 1325 and full wimberley. It's an awesome lens. I really could have done without the tc there.

We'll share them with you if you come down. Some, I know by name

13. huanpham

huanpham Guest

nice shots Harris. How did they let you get so close? The cranes are usually pretty shy. Isn't the lens sweet?

Sorry I missed you during the last weekend. Please send my regards to Mary.

Best,

Huan