Playground break

Discussion in 'People' started by gilbert, Jun 6, 2005.

1. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    My 3-year old son taking a short break from the action at the playground. Constructive critique appreciated.

D70, 85mm f/1.4 AF-D, ISO 200, 1/640 sec, f/2.2

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. now that is a a keeper..

4. sinapps

sinapps

Apr 30, 2005
    Houston
    Very nice. Try it with just a touch of a dark vignette.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I agree with the others, very nice composition. Simple but effective and with just the right amount of DOF.

6. That is such a wonderful and priceless shot....thanks for sharing!! :) :) :)

7. Excellent shot Gilbert. I really like the expression and pose/prop (very natural looking shot). One change I would try is an 8x10 crop. Although I really like the negative space I'd prefer it if his head position where closer to the intersection of the top 1/3 and right 1/3 of the image. This still maintains a nice amount of negative space but gives more focus to him as the subject. I also agree with the suggestion to add a vignette.

Overall it's an excellent shot - thanks for sharing. :D

8. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Modified image

All: Thanks for the kind comments and cc.

Rad: I think that darkening the corners is a great idea!

Joe: Thanks for the suggestion. An 8x10 crop feels a little too 'short' to me because I think I like the wall extending a bit further with the 8x12 crop. I'll probably end up printing it as an 8x10 just to get it into my standard mat sizes and maybe it will grow on me.

I took the idea of darkening the corners a little further and created a sideways teardrop vignette where the narrow side of the teardrop is on the left. Also, after staring at it a bit more today, the image felt flat to me, so I adjusted the curves to give a bit more contrast. Let me know what you think of the modified image. Thanks!

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    gilbert,

You took an awesome capture and made it it even better.

Excellent work...just excellent.

C

10. I would have quit while you were ahead. The original Black and White image w/o the vignette was wonderful on it's own in my opinion.

11. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Cory and 4labs: Thanks for the comments!