Playing again with Light

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Dec 17, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Took some shots today and am processing a few.

I thought that the light here had some potential and have been playing with it.

Here is a before and after.

As always, advice, help and criticism always appreciated.

Best wishes

Ray

Before

[​IMG]

Processed
    [​IMG]

2. What you can do with these images is nothing short of amazing! Glad you post the before/afters as it changes how I look at what otherwise might be a throwaway!

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thank You Kevin

Very kind words and really appreciated.

I know my processing is often ott, but I suppose it is a process and style I have developed.

I just love trying to bring a throw-away back to life. That is the real fun for me.

So once again many thanks.

Very best wishes
    Ray

4. Ray, I downloaded the "painting with light" software but must have put it in the wrong location. Could you tell me specifically where it goes in PS CS.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,
    It is an action. un-zip..to your favorite place.
    I make a new folder on desk top with the action name. Put it in there and then un-zip it. that way I know where in the heck I put it. :>))

Open PSCS..Go to actions..On the fly out arrow in the layers, actions pallet.. choose load action. Go to the place you put it, highlight it, and in it goes. You are all set.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Gale

Not sure I did it that easily!!!

I am going to have to get you to load stuff in Photoshop for me in future:biggrin:

Thanks for explaining - I did have some trouble working out how to load it and put it in the wrong place to start.

All the best

Take care

Ray

7. Ray, that's another good one.

Honestly, it's a bit more 'dramatic' than what I would do. But it's the style you have developed and has become your signature. So I try to look at your images in a 'Ray's perspective' instead of my own, and learn a lot.

Continue to fine-tune your technique, but don't change your style.

Merry Christmas!

8. Thanks Gale, it loaded very easily. Now if it is not too much trouble can someone tell me how I get started. Please keep in mind that I have only used one action before this and that is the frame action. If it is too much trouble would you point me to something I could read. I am a quick study and learn things easily (most of the time).

9. Ron in B.C.

Ron in B.C. Guest

Beautiful Ray!

10. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Will this plugin/action work with PS Elements3?

11. I agree that it's a little over the top, but I like it anyway. Very pretty.

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gordon and everyone else

First to Gordon.

Dare I suggest that you do a quick search in the retouching forum (dpreview) for PWL and where I think Chip has done a tutorial.

If you posted there asking for help then Kent will undoubtebly direct you to many examples and tutorials. He must have the best database going!

If you have no joy, drop me an e mail and I will try to write something to get you started.

Many thanks to all for the nice comments - apreciated.

I know I am ott with my processing but it is if you like a style I have devleoped and fallen into - I tend to work my pictures beyond the real but just love the fun of geting a fairly drab shot and bringing it to life.

Anyway, thank you again - really appreciated.

Very best wishes
    Ray

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon,
    Here are the basics...For PWL
    There can be alot more involved and you can run it several times have many layers and use many different modes also.
    Ray has a write up in the retouching forum here you might take a look at also.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=11650687

Have fun.

Great things can be done with PWL, even small amounts sometimes fixes an image right up :>))

Doug Barber uses it also. :>)))

14. Gordon, might I also suggest that you download the later PWLII version -- many had difficulty trying to figure out how to use Chip's first PWL, but the second version is pretty much foolproof. I know I found it easier to use. :smile: The ATCentral site should be a priority bookmark - what a wealth of FREE actions/tutorials to compliment anyone's photos! And you'll recognize the names of some of the contributors as well. :wink:

15. Very nice Ray....like I said over at DPR, this is one of my favorites !! :smile:

16. Thanks Ray, Gale and Diane. I will for sure read the info on DPR and as Diane suggested, download PWL II. Thanks for the suggestions and help to get me started. Perhaps after the new year I can post one of my own PWL images.

17. Another good one, Ray. Almost looks like one of those matte-paintings on glass, they use as partial backgrounds for movies.

I have found out that the so-called Blah pics (flat, low contrast) bear great potential for such retouching work, although I'm not sure if it's not just the "before/after sensation". I would suggest that next time, as an experiment for us, just post the retouched version only and see what comments it will earn you and later post the original as a comparison. It would be interesting (at least for me) what the impressions will be.

Cheers

18. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Harry

Many thanks - glad you like it.

Great idea re posting the next shot - will give that a try.

Very best wishes,

Ray

19. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Nice pic/processing. I like the results you've achieved here...not too much or overdone with the action. gg
    Robert

20. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful WORK Ray!