1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Playing an acoustical guitar

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 6, 2018.

1. My good friend was playing his most recently purchased guitar while his wife was cooking our supper. I couldn't resist making a closeup of his hand (the only problem being that I had to put down my glass of wine :ROFLMAO: ).

Mike 2018-10-12--1666-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. A rather soothing image; this despite all the angles and lines.
    I'm surprised you weren't in kitchen shooting food :D 

3. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    The hostess most likely had to barricade herself in the kitchen to keep him out.

Nice image. Wonder how it would look with the exposure dropped a third or half a stop.

4. Thank you to Nick and Dayo!

I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. Perhaps the softness of the angles and lines, which are mostly out of focus because of the small depth of field, prevents them from having a jarring effect.

The cook, the guitarist, my wife and I were all in the kitchen, which is absolutely huge. I felt like I needed a GPS device to find my way out of it.

I'm not sure, but I do know that if I had made the photo that way, you would be wondering how it would look with the exposure increased a third of half stop. :ROFLMAO: 

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. There's a cute story about the guitarist. His name is Tom Jones, though he's not the famous singer. About 20 years ago when I was in the carpet business, I hooked him up with a carpet installer named James Brown. One day James called Tom on the phone at his business. The receptionist knew Tom was there but not in his office, so she sent a simple announcement through all the phones: "James Brown calling Tom Jones on line 6."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I like the diagonal composition, very nice Mike!

7. Really like this, Mike.
    Including the grain that gives it a film-like look.
    It really adds to the image for me.

8. Thank you to Binnur and Bart!

Bart: I also like the film-like look, which is probably due to the ISO 6400. I didn't add any grain during post-processing, though I did entertain that thought.

9. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Hey Mike nice attention to detail. Like those everyday photos that a lot of us just past by without thinking about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Wrong. Would have been wondering how it would look if you added some lens flare!

11. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    You laugh but I did actually do a test of this with the exposure dropped a stop and added a small sun burst. Must say it actually works very well.

12. I like the diagonal composition as well...and the way that the strings (lines) blur in the upper left corner of the frame. It brings my attention to the musician's fingers. Very nice image!

Glenn

13. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Will rather keep my monstrosities to myself Mike.

14. I'm happy to provide sources of your monstrosities. :ROFLMAO: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.