Playing with a 400 f2.8....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Birger has been kind enough to let me borrow his 400 f2.8 for the upcoming shoot in February. I can see it will take some getting used to on my end. Tracking flying birds is a new thing for me with a big lens and Wimberley. Did the best I could, but missed a fair amt. of flight shots. Thank god I have time to practice now...

the sun was quite low, and the light warm. I may redo this though, as it seems a bit too warm:
    original.

this is full frame. Had to use the opposite of foot zoom, I had to back up a lot:
    original.

I was using the D100, my H is on the way back. It was slower to lock focus, harder to track, and the lens wide open has very shallow dof:
    original.

this guy must think he's a Sandhill, he just flew in to roost with the 30 or so there:
    original.
    (major league ugly duckling syndrome if you ask me.)

Glad I have some time to work on my long lens technique with this awesome beast of a lens...

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like you did pretty well to me Harris. I can't wait until you get used to it. :smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    New gear is tough to get used to for sure :>))

Good show Harris.

4. yea pity you have to get USED to shooting a 400 2.8 good stuff my man

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very nicely done. They look great. Can't wait to see some more when the light's a little stronger. Mebbe then you can even stop that beast down some :rolleyes:

6. The 400/2.8 is high on my list for my next lens...you did an awesome job with the birdies!!

7. Hey, it's tough work. Figuring out how much to stop down, how low a light you can shoot in. How to track flying Sandhills in the golden hour. This may take a while...:cool:

8. yeah for flight shots, but for stationary stuff, love the bokeh

9. Thanks Brett, I can see why it would be. A huge piece of fabulous glass...

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

new gear so much fun to work with and you got a 4002.8 WoW
    I saw a couple the other day at Samys, some giant glass there !!

These shots are just fine and a prelude to what you can do with that chunk of glass :wink:

11. I cant wait to get out and have some time to really use it and see how it responds. It sure is a fine piece of glass....

Thanks...