Playing with an old lens

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Dusted off the 50/1.8 today just to play with something different. Caught these of Logan during our midday snack. Not bad for being at f2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Verrrry nice. Sharp. Nice light. Great DOF and of course, nice subject.

I wonder why your pictures always look that sharp. Some PP more special than simple USM?
    I don't have Photoshop so maybe I miss out on some PP procedures that are well known among photoshop users.
    (Apart from LAB and CYMK, which I know I miss. But 1k € for a piece of software which then doesn't even run on Linux?? :mad::rolleyes:)

3. That is a good lens and you have used it well.

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I always try to put the most contrast on the subject and use both types of sharpening. Small radius settings start around 150/0.3/0 and large radius settings of about 10/50/0. Normally done on the L channel in LAB, but will use a luminosity blend if I am feeling lazy. Curves on K can have a good effect as well. You can also make something appear sharp by making what surrounds it soft.

Seasoned to taste. Nothing special.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Must use them on occasion to keep the blades working smooth. I might use this one for a while.:smile:

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice, Charles...i don't know why so many don't care for the 50 focal length ..i personally think it's a dandy portrait lens .....;-))

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I agree with you as long as I have some control over the background. Neither of the AF 50's are known for great bokeh. 45P is better in that regard, but its hard to MF on a 3 year old at full speed. lol

8. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Great shots. I was going to say he looks to be about 3. Mine is 2 and he definitely moves around a lot. I love my 50/1.8s, both AF and MF. In fact on digital, I like 24 and 50 better than 35, but then I'm not quite normal. I find a great place to get fun expressions is the bath tub.

9. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    My favorite lens. It doesn't get much love lately. I think I will get it out tomorrow...

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    None of us are normal. :wink:

Show it some love and it will return it twice over.:smile: