1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Playing with low light

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by cbbr, Mar 29, 2011.

1. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I shot a few with my victims last night just to play. I decided that I really need a gridded flash from the front to make the faces pop, but would love some more C&C -

1)

1232174285_feFY3-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)

1232174929_CH6Gg-XL.jpg

3)

1232174452_xMY24-XL.jpg

2. the light from the candle doesn't look like it's providing much light on the subject

I realise candle light is not bright which is the tricky part but I think it's possible to have more apparent illumination from the candle in the images

3. The concept is good, but I think there just wasn't enough light to really "light up" this image.

4. Tony Ad

Tony Ad

May 20, 2008
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Tony Admana
    I'm with Silver and Mike. I think your title should have been "Playing with very low light".

5. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Thanks guys - I had a softbox feathered overhead and gelled, but I think that I needed either more power from that or a second gelled/gridded flash from the front. The candle was not really helping at all because kids can't stay still long enough for a slow speed shot.

This was my first attempt, and I have a shot in mind that this is working toward, which is why I need some C&C on this one. Thanks again!

6. I think you needed more focused light... maybe a snooted flash or something. You have to think that when using this type of light you're going for a moody or edgy look, so make your lights work for you in that manner.

I like where you're headed with this, though! Redo and post again!

7. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Thanks Mike! I am new to this type of shot, but I have willing victims.

8. Chad, what camera / lenses do you have, I agree getting kids to sit still can be a task in itself but wonder how much you can get from the candle before even thinking to add any additional lighting

I don't know offhand what settings might work for just using the light from the candle, I recall a thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=267756 - that is more than candle light but they are further away from the light source - which by my quick maths is something like f2 1/50 and 3200iso

f1.4 1/30 and 3200 might get you there or in the ballpark (guessing) and your camera can be on a tripod so it might be possible..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    D90 and except for the 35 1.8, all of my glass is 2.8. That's why I'm playing with the flashes - the D90 in light that low at anything over 800iso just won't get it right and kids move too much for long exposures. I am going to play with a larger candle and see if it adds much. Thanks for the link.

10. I am not familiar with the d90 in terms of noise handling, I think the approach of flash may be required but I am still thinking it's worth trying a few without flash,. ok 3200 might look noisy but 1600iso may work ok and sometimes noise can add a grain type feel that can work with low light

go on - even if it's just for my curiousity would like to see what it looks like just with candle light :smile:

11. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Absolutely, when I set it back up I'll shoot a few just for grins. Maybe a larger candle will make a difference.

12. will be interested to see how it turns out (if it turns out!) :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.