Playing with my new tripod/head

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by bep207, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    I purchased a Gitzo 1228 from Mr. Dewey here on the cafe and a Benro KS-2 online.
    I was playing around with the panning feature out my window, just trying to get used to the knobs and all that.
    I took this picture at about 1/6 second.

[​IMG]

It was difficult to do because when you are panning along with the car and the shutter opens, you lose your ability to look through the viewfinder, does anyone have any suggestions about what to do to try to stay on track when panning an object like this.
    Thanks
    Blake

2. Wow, excellent!
    The thing with panning is to start well before the intended shot and follow through beyond. By doing so you'll move pretty well in sync with your subject. Something you've done very well here Blake!

3. Excellent pan shot!

Frits' advice is spot on, where you get the motion going and follow your object before you click the shutter so you have the movement down. I find it also helps to keep both eyes open so you can look outside of the viewfinder at the moving object for more security. It takes practice but you look like you have a knack for it.

4. it's the same idea as trap/bird hunting (sorry birders!)
    track the path and follow through on your shot.......(do NOT 'lead' the bird though.....)

matt

5. If you allow me: To illustrate my point, I started panning this bike well before an intersection and followed way beyond the point of the shot, while clicking during the pan.

Something else: A panning shot is by definition one of movement. So, another technique that works well here is to present it at an angle, it really adds dynamism to the image.

City traffic hustle & bustle
    original.

6. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    Frits,
    Great shot with the cyclist. Your technique that you describe is actually what I was doing, quite by accident though. Having a sturdy tripod and ballhead sure make panning a lot easier. Did you shoot that cyclist one handheld? If so, wow! great handling. Ive heard that if you turn VR on just NORMAL setting that it will allow you to pan and it will only compensate for vertical motion... i bet that is helpful if used handheld.
    Blake

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  7. Thanks Blake! Yes, I shot that hand held on a city corner while killing time (actually while waiting to meet another Cafe member who was visiting from out of town). Also, no VR for me :eek: , I shoot mostly with manual focus Ai(S) lenses - as was this one.

8. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Yikes... no helmet!

Nice shot though..