Playing with Textures! Need critiques....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
It's been a boring afternoon....so I tried playing with textures on an old image.

After bringing in a texture, I would sample the various Layer modes and then adjust opacity. I ended up using 2 texture layers.

So.....give it to me straight! What works, if anything? What stinks? For sure ....the composition is too centered! Does the crop on the second image help? What else should I consider changing?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cropped & I backed off the adjustments....
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen - Although I generally like the look of certain textures on a photo, I'm certainly no expert at selecting the appropriate one and then applying it in a pleasing way.

That said, I don't think your texture works very well in this case. I think that a) the original image itself may not lend itself well to applying a texture (I may be proved wrong on that though...) and, b) I think that the texture applied is too heavy-handed.

In my opinion, textures work well on photos that have substantial expanse of "nothing", such as a sky or generally blank area. And then it should only be lightly applied. This image is a bit to "busy" in that sense, for me. And the texture just makes it busier.

Just my opinion.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the comments! I've edited #2 with a "softer hand", but it still doesn't seem to be a very good effort! :(((

I agree, it looks over done. And with that pic it may always look overdone. It is more of an abstract than a texture to me. That said, I am terrible at texture work.

Woohoo textures! So textures can add some excellent emotion to the image.:wink:

The image here is almost a little merged at the top....but you knew that going in. I dont think it's too "centerd", but the merge makes it crowded. the leaves are as big and strong as the "bloom", so its competing a bit.

your texture is ok....but agree it makes the image a little harsh. Did you brush away some of it? Apply a layer mask and just brush away some harshness. :)

I like the comment on the negative space. I use a lot of negative space in my images for that reason. if it's a crowded image, you can use a lighter texture or simply choose a less harsh blend mode or opaqueness.
**the blend mode sometimes comes with an unexpected brightness factor--I havent figured out how to deal with that yet except by adjusting the "overall blend". that can be an issue. (I usually go with "soft light" first or "darken" then go from there.)

In textures, use just the part of the texture you want and brush away the rest.

If the image is already speaking strongly, the texture should just be a complement.

looking forward to your next attempt!!! great job :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the comments, everyone! And I totally agree! I knew this wasn't a typical image to try textures with, but was just bored enough to prove WHY! LOL!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom