Playing with the D3 and High ISO

So I rented D3 this week since I have Friday off and I want to test it out and see how it is. I'm thinking of getting a D700 to pair with my D300, so I am curious how FX is compared to DX and to see how much better the D3 sensor is in low light at higher ISO's than the D300 (I know it's better, but I like to see first hand). Anyway, I've only taken a couple of shots here and there, and I thought my lunch today (grilled chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A) would be a good willing subject.

I also rented a 24-70 f/2.8 so I would have a full frame zoom to go with it (my 17-55 is obviously DX). These are at different ISO's and f/stops and SS's.

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)

3)

4) Bonus shot of a squishy lightbulb I have at my desk..

5) A crop of the above shot

6) A shot of my co-worker with the 300 f/4 AF-s...he was a bit too close though. I did blow this up and I can see myself in his right eye. Pretty cool.

I'm pretty impressed with the image quality of the D3 (I knew I would be) and I think I will definitely be getting a D700 in the fall...I think it will compliment the D300 very well as long as the IQ of the shots and high ISO capabilities are the same as the D3. I like the D3 a lot, but I think I like the smaller form factoc like the D300 over the pro body of the D3...but that's just my opinion. That may change the more I use the D3. :biggrin:

Ok, let me get this straight. You were in Chik-Fil-A, sitting at a table, taking snaps of your food?!?!? Get any wierd looks?

...pause...

That's ok. I did the same thing at The Varsity - "one each, ring and a coke." :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ok, let me get this straight. You were in Chik-Fil-A, sitting at a table, taking snaps of your food?!?!? Get any wierd looks?

...pause...

That's ok. I did the same thing at The Varsity - "one each, ring and a coke." :biggrin: :biggrin:
Actually, I was at my desk here at work with the sandwich sitting on it. So nobody was paying any attention to me. :biggrin:

S

scooptdoo

riight!at work taking pics of your sandwich drew no attention.thats even more intresting?

Peet

did you take any pictures under less than ideal conditions ? I always find noise to be pretty well controlled when expsosure is perfect and lighting is ideal and in the situations above I think even the D300 would probably be decent (your shutter is pretty good in those tests for example). I think a better test would be low light subject matter, that would demonstrate how good the D3s noise really is.

riight!at work taking pics of your sandwich drew no attention.thats even more intresting?
Everyone knows me and to see me with a camera at work taking pictures really doesn't bother anyone or draw anyone's eye. Of course the huge D3 on my desk caused a few to stop by and ask what it was and if I bought a new camera...

did you take any pictures under less than ideal conditions ? I always find noise to be pretty well controlled when expsosure is perfect and lighting is ideal and in the situations above I think even the D300 would probably be decent (your shutter is pretty good in those tests for example). I think a better test would be low light subject matter, that would demonstrate how good the D3s noise really is.
I agree Daniel...I haven't had the chance to get out where it's really dark and take some shots. I did take some at our softball game last night, but it was still a bit sunny out although the sun was going down. Maybe I"ll get some this weekend...

To get to the point, the photos reveal impressive control of color and noise at high ISO. The skin tones of your co-worker are quite good.
Thanks Richard...I am impressed by the camera...now if I was only a better photographer. :biggrin:

chic-fi-la, but isn't the fried sandwhich sooo much better :wink:
Yes Daniel it is...but I"m trying to be somewhat healthy.

Here are a couple of higher ISO shots from last night and this morning with the D3.

1) (here I am trying to hit the softball...taken by one of my friends with the D3)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Love the tongue Dave. Shows real concentration. Let me guess, it was a home run, right?

Anyways, I am getting my D3 next week and cannot wait. Thanks for the photos showing the some of the capabilities.

Oh, did I mention I cannot wait?

Love the tongue Dave. Shows real concentration. Let me guess, it was a home run, right?

Anyways, I am getting my D3 next week and cannot wait. Thanks for the photos showing the some of the capabilities.

Oh, did I mention I cannot wait?
No, not a home run unfortunately...

Congrats on the D3. You will love it, it is a great camera.

so dave....
D700 for you?

wonderful series
looks like FX suits you JUST FINE.....
I'm leaning more and more towards the D700 for my route to FX. I think the D700 and the D300 together would be a good combo for me. I could still use the D300 during the day when I need the reach (wildlife and some sports) and then switch to the D700 when the light starts to suffer. I just need to figure out which lenses to pair with the D700 when I get it. I liked the 24-70 but I am not so sure about it. I wish it was more like a 24-85 as I could use the extra reach on the tele side without changing the lens. I'll have to keep looking around for something that matches the range I have with my 17-55 DX on the D300.

I'll probably end up renting the D700 sometime here soon to play with it...then I can make a good decision.

I'm leaning more and more towards the D700 for my route to FX. I think the D700 and the D300 together would be a good combo for me. I could still use the D300 during the day when I need the reach (wildlife and some sports) and then switch to the D700 when the light starts to suffer. I just need to figure out which lenses to pair with the D700 when I get it. I liked the 24-70 but I am not so sure about it. I wish it was more like a 24-85 as I could use the extra reach on the tele side without changing the lens. I'll have to keep looking around for something that matches the range I have with my 17-55 DX on the D300.

I'll probably end up renting the D700 sometime here soon to play with it...then I can make a good decision.
sounds like a solid plan to me, dave
good luck

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom