Playing with the D300 Time Lapse function

This fascinates me and wanting to learn more about it and of course try it. First I need a new stable tripod. But I am interested in the camera settings used. I read (see link below) you turn off auto focus and focus manually and also set the exposure manually. So would you set the exposure for the scene as it begins and leave it there? Light can change in seconds/minutes but I'm thinking specifically in an instance like from the following site where he/she has a 12 hour time frame on one of them. http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/pages/timelapse.htm

Marlene

Well, to combat the light change problem in my movie, I used aperture priority so that the camera would automatically change the shutter speed.

It depends on the effect you're going for though. If you wanted it to fade in from dark to daylight, I could have used manual mode and guessed what the settings would be. Then it would have underexposed before the sun came up (even more than it did) and as it got brighter it would have become brighter.

I was going for more of an even look though.. So, I let the camera go the guess work. My shutter speeds ranged from 1/100 to 1/5000.

I did turn off autofocus, and used manual to focus on what I wanted in each subject.

You rock James! A very cool innovative idea that also shows your passion to photography.
glenn

This was really interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Not a problem. Glad you liked it.

For use on a tripod the mc-36 might be an additional option - You can do all settings with this gear w/o hitting one of the camera buttons!

cheers tom

I'll have to look into this. I haven't run into the limits of the D300's interval timer yet, but I've been loving this feature so I'm going through it pretty quick. I'm already tired of stationary shots, I need a telescope tripod!

haha... great, more money...

That was really cool ! Thanks for the inspiration

Thanks for sharing! Very cool idea and very creatively implemented. You have thus inspried me :biggrin:

Thanks, not a problem. :) I had fun shooting it..

Also,

For any of you that want to do this that don't have movie software, it can be accomplished in Adobe Photoshop CS3.

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack > Follow prompts and select all your photos

Then:

Window > Workspace > Video and Film

Then in the "frames" window:

Click the little menu icon at the top right of the frames window (just below the X to close that specific window) > Make Frames From Layers

Then:
File > Export > Render Video

Reasons to do this in Photoshop:
It allows for cropping without the loss of quality. Especially if you're shooting a D300.
It assigns one picture per frame so you get a true 29.97 fps (which any of the free software I've found doesn't do)
It lets you export to formats like .avi and .mov if you want high quality vids

Reasons not to do this in Photoshop:
It takes forever to import the pictures... forever... and ever and ever and ever...

Latest threads

Top Bottom