Please comment/critique these portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Taken while visiting some friends a few weeks ago: I thought to enter one of those in the "Summer" challenge just ended, but couldn't secure the permission of the parents before the deadline (the family was on a trip).

Would you be kind enough to critique these candid portraits (D70 + 24-120VR, @120mm, f/5.6, i.e. wide open ;-))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Philippe...I must echo Paul's viewpoints. The first image is my first choice as I prefer the color version. He is a great looking young man, if he enjoys posing, he's a great model to shoot.

4. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Very nice Philippe. It reminds me of the type of street photography you see in travel magazines. Beautiful skin tones. The D70 really captures skin tones well when set up right. You would have done well in the competition with the first shot.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good.

Like the color images. Gota echo Paul...

6. Thanks Paul, Frank, Jim and Gale for your thoughtful comments. 8)

I was wondering about the black and white myself: I have spent enough time in front of it that the subtle tone variation from the hair to the background does not bother me, but I see and acknowledge your point. As for looking straight on, you are right too. I have other shots where he does, but they were more... posed, or acted if you will; whereas this was a genuine, candid smile. The little guy is not camera shy, so I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to capture his vibrant personality. ;-)

7. Philippe,

i go for the 1 one also.
    It's a very sparkling picture.
    I somehow miss that sparkling in the BW version.

8. Love the first image Philippe. I would probably clone out the white spots so that they don't distract from your sterling image.

9. rebrewer

rebrewer

Aug 1, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I like the first image also. Darken the door hardware a bit in PS and the eye won't draw to them. Fun stuff.

Bob

10. Both B&W and color versions are very nice.

In B&W days i mostly use warm paper and selenium toning for portraits that would produced less steely tones than cold papers.

11. manishg

manishg

Jul 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Very nice photos. BW are good, but I like the color ones better in this case, maybe because of the tones.

Cute kid too.