Please comment/critique these portraits

Taken while visiting some friends a few weeks ago: I thought to enter one of those in the "Summer" challenge just ended, but couldn't secure the permission of the parents before the deadline (the family was on a trip).

Would you be kind enough to critique these candid portraits (D70 + 24-120VR, @120mm, f/5.6, i.e. wide open ;-))

30308872-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

30308869-O.jpg

30308866-O.jpg

Thanks!

Philippe...I must echo Paul's viewpoints. The first image is my first choice as I prefer the color version. He is a great looking young man, if he enjoys posing, he's a great model to shoot.

J

JCPhoto

Very nice Philippe. It reminds me of the type of street photography you see in travel magazines. Beautiful skin tones. The D70 really captures skin tones well when set up right. You would have done well in the competition with the first shot.

Thanks Paul, Frank, Jim and Gale for your thoughtful comments. 8)

I was wondering about the black and white myself: I have spent enough time in front of it that the subtle tone variation from the hair to the background does not bother me, but I see and acknowledge your point. As for looking straight on, you are right too. I have other shots where he does, but they were more... posed, or acted if you will; whereas this was a genuine, candid smile. The little guy is not camera shy, so I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to capture his vibrant personality. ;-)

I like the first image also. Darken the door hardware a bit in PS and the eye won't draw to them. Fun stuff.

Bob

Both B&W and color versions are very nice.

In B&W days i mostly use warm paper and selenium toning for portraits that would produced less steely tones than cold papers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom