Please comment & critique this studio shot

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Just finished the shoot, and barely scratched the surface of culling these shots, but this one stood out to me. Tell me what you think's good & bad about it. Thnx! PS, this is my Housekeeper's Daughter, who just turned 16, and picked out her own outfits.

original.

Nikon D2X/Nikon 28-70 f2.8

Focal Length: 70mm

Color Mode: Mode I (sRGB)

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Preset d-0

Tone Comp.: Less Contrast

Compressed RAW (12-bit)

Metering Mode: Center-Weighted

AF Mode: AF-S

Hue Adjustment: +3°

1/100 sec - F/4.5

Saturation: Normal

Exposure Comp.: 0 EV

Sharpening: Normal

Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D

Sensitivity: ISO 100

2. Love the lighting, pose is cute, clothes are funky. I like it. Just one tiny critique, you have cropped so close on the top that it appears that she is ducking to make it in the frame. Just a qarter of an inch would do. Cute model.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    lol, Now That's a critique I can live with!

Thanks Gordon, are you back in the States already? Welcome back if you are. We all miseed you! I really do see what you mean about cropping too tight at the top. I never noticed it til you mentioned it, and of course, you're absolutely right!

4. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    looks good. I hadn't noticed it until Gordon did but yeah, she is ducking the frame.

BTW...she won't stay 16 for long.

5. Robear

Robear Guest

Good pic, even if she is "ducking." :)

This one might have a little more punch as a B&W or a duotone. Something about the clothes are really 1920's "flapper" to me.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like it. What type of lighting setup did you use?

7. Re: lol, Now That's a critique I can live with!

Hi Steve, yes I got back late last night and now need to get my butt in gear and process some images. That will start tomorrow.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    HI Jeff, I used

a single 47 in Octabox attached to an Alien Bees AB400 strobe to her right, something like 20-25 deg to her right, set at about 7 ft high and very close in, with a full length silver reflector to her immediate left. I don't meter, I just take lots of test shots, initially using a 2 ft tall baby doll set on a ladder to get the exposures in the ballpark, then fine tune after the subject arrives. This one was the closest yet to being right on the money, straight "out of the box". I only had to take about 4 subject test shots this time. Also, did a custom WB using an Expodisc. That was right on too!
    By far, the hardest part was finding appropriate poses for a 16 y.o. that didn't involve props or any kind of leaning against anything.