Please comment & critique

Discussion in 'People' started by TR_Fox, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    A couple of shots from last month.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice Tim. I especially like the second one.

3. I liek second one a lot

4. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks everyone. I mostly shot stills so this was my first with a live body. it is quite different.

5. Good lighting and I like the colour and post processing. My only nit would be the composition on the first photo - I would like more room on the top and bottom, and less on the sides.

6. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Tim,

Nice job, like #2 best.

Jack

7. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Rory.
    I would have like to see that too, but I can only backup so far in my living room. :oops:

I was hopping that the post was not over done.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ooo La La!!!!!

Looks like you had a great first session.

I have a friend who shoots for the Maricopa County morgue. That's not what you're talking about right? :p

9. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    I did some of that while I was at OIP (Ohio Institute of photography)
    But have been doing a lot of product type shoots.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    First shot, I like the lighting and pose. Maybe a slightly higher camera angle would have been better IMHO, unless you're wanting to emphasize height (in which case a narrower crop would be more effective).

Second shot, the bright spots on the near shoulder and sleeve distract attention away from model's face a bit. I think if you added a bit of vignetting in post-processing it would improve the shot. Also it seems like too much of the whites of her eyes are showing, not sure if a different camera angle would fix this or if you'd have to change where she's looking. Lighting is good though: soft, directional, catchlights where you want them, no glare on the glasses.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Both images are great but I really like the second image best. Great facial expression, skin tone and detail.

12. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thank Jeff,

I think the whites are blown out in the post because in the print you can see the gray stitching in the jacket. Would you mind sharing a shot with the vignetting? I don't do a lot of post processing so I am not very good with Photoshop yet.

I like the idea for a different camera angle I might try that if I shoot any more people.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Here's one where I used vignetting:

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/42524851/original

It's not obvious at the top of the frame because that area was already dark, but you can see at the bottom of the frame I used a fairly strong vignette on this image. With Photoshop CS2 adding a vignette is extremely easy. Just go to Filters | Distort | Lens Correction. First thing I do is turn the grid off. Then dial in a negative correction on the vignetting control. You have control over not only the strength of the vignette but how far into the frame it comes, and you get a realtime preview showing you how it will look.

With previous versions of Photoshop there are other ways to accomplish the effect. Search some of the sites with actions like http://www.atncentral.com and I'll bet you can find some actions for doing it.

Regards,

14. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Jeff.

I will see what I can find. I have only been shoot DIGI for about 7 months. Still trying to learn the post stuff.

I do miss the darkroom from time to time.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Real nice Tim,

Very beautiful model! Lucky you! GOod job on the exposures. I'll echo what others have said, and suggest you crop about 1/4 of the frame off the right side of the 1st. Not crazy about that pose, seems a bit contorted and unnatural. The 2nd one is perfect to me!

16. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks for the input Steve.

It is very hard to get an 8x10 print with a full lenth shot and not have space on the sides.

I was very happy with the lighting and the model :wink: :wink: