Please comment & critique

A couple of shots from last month.

01_resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

02_resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Good lighting and I like the colour and post processing. My only nit would be the composition on the first photo - I would like more room on the top and bottom, and less on the sides.

Thanks Rory.
I would have like to see that too, but I can only backup so far in my living room. :oops:

I was hopping that the post was not over done.

Real Name
Chris
Ooo La La!!!!!

Looks like you had a great first session.

TR_Fox said:
Thanks everyone. I mostly shot stills so this was my first with a live body. it is quite different.

I have a friend who shoots for the Maricopa County morgue. That's not what you're talking about right? :p

I have a friend who shoots for the Maricopa County morgue. That's not what you're talking about right?

I did some of that while I was at OIP (Ohio Institute of photography)
But have been doing a lot of product type shoots.

First shot, I like the lighting and pose. Maybe a slightly higher camera angle would have been better IMHO, unless you're wanting to emphasize height (in which case a narrower crop would be more effective).

Second shot, the bright spots on the near shoulder and sleeve distract attention away from model's face a bit. I think if you added a bit of vignetting in post-processing it would improve the shot. Also it seems like too much of the whites of her eyes are showing, not sure if a different camera angle would fix this or if you'd have to change where she's looking. Lighting is good though: soft, directional, catchlights where you want them, no glare on the glasses.

Thank Jeff,

I think the whites are blown out in the post because in the print you can see the gray stitching in the jacket. Would you mind sharing a shot with the vignetting? I don't do a lot of post processing so I am not very good with Photoshop yet.

I like the idea for a different camera angle I might try that if I shoot any more people.

Would you mind sharing a shot with the vignetting? I don't do a lot of post processing so I am not very good with Photoshop yet.
Here's one where I used vignetting:

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/42524851/original

It's not obvious at the top of the frame because that area was already dark, but you can see at the bottom of the frame I used a fairly strong vignette on this image. With Photoshop CS2 adding a vignette is extremely easy. Just go to Filters | Distort | Lens Correction. First thing I do is turn the grid off. Then dial in a negative correction on the vignetting control. You have control over not only the strength of the vignette but how far into the frame it comes, and you get a realtime preview showing you how it will look.

With previous versions of Photoshop there are other ways to accomplish the effect. Search some of the sites with actions like http://www.atncentral.com and I'll bet you can find some actions for doing it.

Regards,

Thanks Jeff.

I will see what I can find. I have only been shoot DIGI for about 7 months. Still trying to learn the post stuff.

I do miss the darkroom from time to time.

Real nice Tim,

Very beautiful model! Lucky you! GOod job on the exposures. I'll echo what others have said, and suggest you crop about 1/4 of the frame off the right side of the 1st. Not crazy about that pose, seems a bit contorted and unnatural. The 2nd one is perfect to me!

Thanks for the input Steve.

It is very hard to get an 8x10 print with a full lenth shot and not have space on the sides.

I was very happy with the lighting and the model :wink: :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom