Please comment on these latest Jesse studio shots (4 pics)

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Please give me some feedback on these shots, thanks. D70/85 f1.8 used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Number 2 is really too hot to look at the merits of the exposure, etc. Number 4 clearly illustrates the famous D70 moire. Number 3 looks very casual, almost snapshot-like, I'll bet you had to work to get that look tho. #1, I dunno, she's falling forward.

Did I mention I really like #2? Hubba-hubba.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh yeah, I like her make-up more in 1 and 2 over 3 and 4. Especially her lower lip. It's catcing the light perfectly in ... yep. #2.

4. peterdove

peterdove Guest

Hi Steve,

Nice shots, I am a little worried though about the skin tone in the first two shots, almost magenta like.. would need original to play with to satisfy myself what the problem is.. it could also be my monitor ;) Although the other two images look fine. ( infact even the background seems to have a slight magenta cast to it. )

The Moire in theory should be removable using RM, but I dont know how bad it is and you have done a good job cleaning up the colour moire, but sometimes if it is really bad one cant get rid of it in the luminence channel.

Peter

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ahh the moire,

Funny place to have it too, huh? Funny you should mention she looks like she's falling over in #1, since that's one of the poses we copied off the web, as done by a pro. Thanks for looking, Chris.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Now, Peter, don't say "could be my monitor"

That's just being diplomatic isn't it? :lol: As co-developer of Raw Magick, your monitor dang well Should be calibrated, shouldn't it? ;) Besides, you should know by now, you don't have to tiptoe around any blunt opinions with me. I admit, I used Auto -3 WB on my D70, and didn't preset the WB, nor did I play with skintones in post. After an hr set up time, 3hrs shooting, and 2 hrs culling through the 300 shots, it was just too late, and I was too tired. And, quite honestly, I didn't notice it, myself! Man, do I ever want my D2H back, just for it's overall ease of use! (not referring to the WB) The background is actually a tan color, does that tell you anything? Can I send you a cropped nef to play with? Will it save in a cropped version? Otherwise, it's too large to email. I have a 5MB limit.

7. Hey Steve -

I'm envious of the progress you have made with your studio shots. I bet if you were to look at shots your took just a few months ago, you'd see a huge improvement over a short time.

It's always good to see shots of Jesse. They're all better than I could do, but I know you like constructive feedback, so here goes:

#1 - the lean doesn't bother me, but not seeing any other reference point makes it hard to tell if Jesse is leaning or the camera wasn't level (although I know that wasn't the case). Either a different (wider) crop or something else in the frame might help that.

#2 - Nice all around. If I had to pick at something, I would suggest not chopping off the fingers of her right hand.

#3 - It's quite possible that you were wanting to create some shadows in this shot, but the ones on the face seem a bit heavy. I don't even know if this is possible, but could there have been a reflector or secondary light pointed only at the face from camera left to soften the shadows? Also, the way the dress is folding at her, um, right side is a bit unflattering to her otherwise beautiful figure. Don't think I would have had the nerve to mention it to her during the shoot, though. :)

#4 - Except for the moire, this is my favorite shot of the group. Hairlight nicely set, background is lit well to provide separation, nice catchlight in the eyes. Again, maybe a little less shadow on the face would be nice. Just don't know how to do that!

8. Hi Steve,

More shots of my favorite model. The one that impressed me most in just a quick glance was #1. I don't mind the lean and the way it is lit is impressive. After spending a little time studying the poses and lighting my least favorite is #3, primarilly because by droping her right shoulder it causes her breast to droop as well. This is accentuated by the fabric wrinkle in that area as well as the look of tugging the top and skewing it to the models right. The last image is more of a moody shot and I kind of like the lighting.