Please comment on these studio shots (many D70 pics)

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really could use some advice on setting my background lights so they light up the background more evenly. The first shot I'm posting is just to show the layout of the lighting in the studio. Pay no attention to the crappy pose, it was just for exposure testing. You'll notice that some of the shots have shadows surrounding the model. I think what happened here was when my Wein Safe Sync started failing intermittently, I took it off and used my built-in flash on my D70, set to 1/8th power to trigger the main & background strobes wirelessly. I think that's what caused these shadows. Please comment on any aspects of these shots good & bad. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve I have spent some time looking at each image of this delightful model. My favorite is the last one. Thanks for sharing your setup.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone,

I finally figured out what was causing those shadows of some of the pics. It was the built in flash set to iTTL instead of 1/8th power. Will shoot some more on Sun. Thanks for commenting!

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Steve I envy your studio - looks like lots of working space. Mine's so small, its hard to move lights around.

I too have trouble lighting the background evenly. But maybe you can try using a single strobe with a SB on a boom and aim it over the model toward the back for those full body shots. For half body shots, I put the strobe on the ground and aim it toward the backdrop.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey, never thought of using an SB on a boom

Good idea, Greg. I just got a medium SB, and I think that could work out real well with it high on the boom, aimed in the center pointing down. Stay tuned, continuing this shoot on Sun!

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Steve, Nice look at your studio - it's cool.

As for the latest Jessies, #7
    is hot - hot but #5 is really well done too.
    Thanks.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for commenting, Gordon,

I can always count on you to add something positive to my threads. SO, how did your shoot go Fri?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey, thanks, Chris!

We went largely "unscripted" this time, with marginal results. Since she's an inexperienced model, and I'm an inexperienced director, we normally go off pics of other poses I've copied off the net and display them on my laptop. I won't say she did bad, she didn't, but when we use tried and true poses we both like, the results are more consistant. More to come on Sun!