Please comment on this idea......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Dec 8, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been kicking around an idea for an upcoming photography exhibit. I just did this quickly while sitting at my desk this morning in work. Tihis is by no means the finished work I am just playing around with ideas. I am trying to portray the feeling of isolation. Please take a look at this and I welcome any suggestions or creative ideas. :smile:
    If it doesn't work at all, just tell me and I'll trash it.

[​IMG]

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

Well, you've asked for C&C, so I'll offer some (hopefully) constructive material.

As much as I like the other work you do with the 10.5mm (and I do like it...), the use of the 10.5mm FOV and distortion clashes with the concept you have for this photo. For me, the fisheye effect overpowers the lonely feeling of the sole figure framed by the doorway.

I like the concept and the execution in terms of the DOF and the small figure coloured in a B&W shot. I think this would "pop" in a less distorted view.

John P.

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey

John,
    Thanks for the comments. I actually like the exaggerated effects of the fisheye on the door frame and the relative normalness of everything "inside" the door. Like I said it's just an idea that I have had for a long time and actually took this shot with that in mind. Thanks again for your comments as this is how I learn and hopefully improve. :smile:
    I was planning on printing this as a large print which would bring more emphasis on the small figure.

4. I had a thought when viewing your image. The color figure in a B&W image does not convey isolation to me rather just the opposite. My thought was to have a color image with a B&W figure. Don't know if it will work but you might give it a try.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

Hmmm... OK, if that's the intent, I'd suggest (politely) a bit more of the frame to be visible, and possibly a slightly lower camera position to bring the "roundness" into a different balance.

I'm glad that you explained this. I, too, sometimes have an initial thought about how I want a photo to play out. Knowing the photographer's intent helps understanding on both sides. < warm smile >

John P.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does this work better, Or should I just scrap the idea?

[​IMG]

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

IMO, the first one's better with the extended DOF.

Don't scrap the idea - it's a good solid one, regardless of my opinion on the fisheye, it's not a bad idea.

John P.

8. ditto

Before I started reading the other posts this is exactly what my first idea was.
    I'm also not sure the fish is working here.
    Did you try it "straightened out"?

Don

9. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    I love your idea and how you executed it. Is there anyway you could remove the bench behind the girl? I find the bench distracting. Without it, the girl would be more alone and would stand out more.

10. This is an interesting idea to work out technically. I was thinking that perhaps the theme of "isolation" would be better conveyed if the person in the photo were not looking directly at the camera ??

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Dave, I like the idea. However, I too feel that the door frame in the first picture distracts more than it adds to the message you want to convey. I therefore prefer the second go. I would also prefer a little larger view of the child. The kid being off center helps to convey the message that he's not in the center spot (of attention), thus underlining the loneliness. As said before, the child looking at the camera is also creating a contact between him/her and the viewer, e.g. breaking the loneliness.

With all I said above, I still think this works and I believe that this is a good idea worth exploring.

12. I agree with what looks like a consensus, the fisheye doesn't work for this image. Use a rectilinear wide angle lens, and I think you have a winner. IMHO.

13. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I too must say the same: if you wanting create a sense of isolation or loneliness, I think you're better off putting a figure in B+W and the surrounding environment in color... I don't know how this would look, but it would definitely express isolation.

Peter

PS: The fish-eye... I could go either way, but I think that the wide angle tends to distract the eye from the central focus: a lone person in some kind of emotional detachment... if you were going to use the fish-eye to get the look you're after, I'd really be interested in seeing your end result (ie. post a link here so we could check it out)

14. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks everybody for the ideas as it really gives me something to work on.