Please Critique B & W headshot

Discussion in 'People' started by Ppub101, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey guys, this is my first black and white for my photography assignment for school. I have to shoot only pictures of people, (head/ face/ hands). Please give me advice so I can improve. Thanks for your time guys.

Paul

Ahna-1.

2. Did you shoot it in B&W or did you post process it to B&W. If you did shoot it in colour maybe you can also post the color version so we can give better advice.

What i can make out of this shot is that the lighting looked bit harsh. Overexposing on the nose. And maybe you can crop off bit more of the top and bit more of the right side (hair). Try it and look if you like it.

Else post the coloured version and we can help you post process it and give you the steps we did to make a B&W version of it.

Greetings,
    Vince

3. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    I did shoot this in color, thats part of the assignment. Here is the color original. And it was pretty harsh light. Not direct sunlight, however it was 1pm. It was the only time I had between classes to shoot this picture.
    Ahna-1-Color.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi paul-

the shot is too tight, i would like to see her entire chin. as vince said, there's a bit too much hair, crop it off and give more room in the direction that she's facing. i'm also unsure as to what is in focus, the image is too small and your DOF is too shallow.

in general, the subject is not very arresting. the eyes are usually the most arresting part of the face, and hers are covered by the shades. can you pick another photo to submit?

ricky

5. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Good advice thank you.... Yes, here are some more pictures from that day.
    Ahna-2.

View attachment 17661

6. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I like the symmetry of the second shot, but I think the last one is better compositionally. It follows the rule of thirds better. I do agree that the series would have better without the glasses. On the third shot, the glasses catch your eye, still, but then you can pick up the other elements as you scan the photo naturally (the smile, the sweater, the hair, the jacket). It also creates a bit of interesting tension because she appears to be talking with someone just out of frame, which lends a bit of mystery.

The first shot appears a bit cramped because too much of the frame is taken up by her head and hair. A crop on the left would help, but she's looking to the left, so more empty space in that direction would have been better.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think the last two are both better than the first one. Maybe the second one could go a little bit tighter and improve slightly, but it's still good as is. The second one is really good, though if I were being really picky I'd say I wish her head was turned just a bit more towards the camera.

The B/W conversions are pretty good. You've got deep blacks, and the skintones look good although there's a couple of slight hotspots in the second, overall tonal range is good. How did you do the B/W conversion?

8. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC

9. Depends on what you want to achieve. But sometimes that option can be very dark black and white conversion. And if you delete channels you can delete also good details. There are many ways to get b/w results.

About the two other photo's. They are more interesting then the first one. If you have to deliver a serie of photo's for b/w work i would put in some photo's of a person without sunglasses. It looks like you used in all shots the blue channel?

Greetings,
    VinceBeus