Please critique (but be gentle)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by nburwell, Aug 27, 2005.

1. The luxury of having a brother who's also into photography can reap many benefits. He his a film lover by heart, so he refuses to join the digital revolution and get a DSLR (more power to him). He currently has a Nikon N80, with a decent lens collection along with it. I asked him if I could borrow his Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM lens to have a crack at it. Went out in my backyard, and shot some sample images. Here's where you all come in. I just need suggestions/critiques on what to do to improve for next time. I don't think this is the best of images, but it's ok. Your opinions matter more to me, so here is the image.

DSC_0005-01copy.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good grief... Only smaller bird you could find would be a hummer :>)))..You did great.

I don't have any help to offer. But for a first try with a lens you are not familar with, you did good.

Maybe not shoot in high sun..

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well these were better than my first attempt.

Some suggestions, try for good light and skies as a rookie birder, A blown out white sky is the toughest bird shooting there is. Also, put the sun behind you for the shots, and pic larger birds at first, try the local park for ducks, geese that aren't afraid of humans. Take a lot of photos, experiment with settings, take a lot of photos,etc. etc. take a lot of photos, and not only take them but look at the exif info on each one to see what worked and didn't work.

Good luck, and by the way it becomes addicting really fast!!

Cheers,

Wade

4. Nick, I'm a bird rookie shooter as you're and have done a lot of mistakes along the learning path. IMHO, Wade's suggestions are very valuables, especially the one about taking a lot of photos and experimenting. The experiences acquired in bird shooting will someday find their way to others subjects photography.

BTW, the composition is really, really nice.

5. Really good first try. Some things you could try in the future are, get closer, look for darker background than your subject, try to not have man made objects in the picture (wires). All in all you did well.

6. That is nice shot you have there. But for some reason the quality of the photo looks a bit strange. I think it haves to do with the web resizing or sharpening or maybe the software you used to process it. But could also be my tired eyes at 4 in the morning in my country.

But about the picture it self it is very good, especially for a first bird shooting. I think you did a great job and very cute the birds on the branch.

And who told you that we are not gentle. If you want feathers from us then we will give you that without problems. If you want stones then just act like your the best photographer in the world and post the crappiest photo you can find. :wink: (but i still think you will be threated gentle).

But this photo is good. And sometimes you want to test out like you said a lens and then you don't mind the right hours to photograph. That is for the next time.

So keep on posting. And about your brother it says here Nikon Cafe not Digital Nikon Cafe. So i assume if he scans a print of a photo he could post here to. And there is allways enough to learn from each other in digital or film.

Hope to see some more photo's of you again.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus