Please critique (or just enjoy) my flower series

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by captainobvious, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Took the pictures for a birthday gift for several family members. Just an amateur that enjoys taking photos from time to time. Taken with a Nikon D40x and an SB600 flash. Bought the flowers from the grocery store, and used different colored posterboard for a backdrop. Any comments good or bad are always welcome.
    Let me know what you think!
    -Andrew

DSC_0056-FINAL.

DSC_0080-FINAL.

DSC_0153-FINAL.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Firstly I did really enjoy viewing these, it's always nice to have a new member of our forum willing to show off their talent.

You asked for C&C though...

1. I really like the colours and textures of the petals, however stalk is slightly dull and therefore detracts from this a bit.

2. This is my preference from the set, lovely vivid colours and interesting composistion. Maybe slightly more dof could have been used so that the centre of the flower has just a little bit sharper.

3. I see potential in this image, however to be honest it suffers from some techincal issues. Again it could use more DoF, however my main problem is with the noise in the black areas. With a better exposure this noise would have been reduced.

Sorry if I come across harsh, just trying to be helpful :smile:

3. No this really helps me a lot, not harsh at all, thank you so much for commenting!!! It always helps me to have someone else's opinion! I'm re-doing the last image (irises) with a much brighter color. I'll post up the new one once I take the shot.

4. Like your adventurous cropping. I'll bet anything that like me, you'd never center any lone item on a table. . I have a 3x4 block print of a cat looking to the upper left . I told framer I want this matted in a 12x16. Matt it in the lower right quarter of the frame. He claims he never saw it done before. The effect is striking. The object of this cats attention is now the furthest corner of the frame.

I'd love to see pic #2 as is but totally trash the oof stem. Just that stem. Leave everything else as is. You may want to pick up a color wheel at any craft store if you like using colored backgrounds. It will show you colors that best go together.

glenn

5. Replaced the last photo with a different one of the irises. Much better.

DSC_0182-FINAL.

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Oh yeah, MUCH better.

Thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing more of your images soon.

7. Yeah I try to make sure that the focus of the picture is never in the center, it makes the shot more interesting. I wish the stem from the sunflower was more in focus. Definately going to pick up a color wheel.

Got a photo of the cat print?

8. I can get one of the print. Give you an idea

9. I really like number 2. The blue and yellow combination is quite striking.

10. Beautiful colorful images. I love them.

11. that'd be great, just a quick shot if that's cool, im interested to see it!

12. quick shot.

2901015699_b5f884a92c_b.

13. That's awesome, I like it. The fur is very detailed. It also really shows how cats watch birds etc. out the window.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.