1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Please Critique Studio Shots

Discussion in 'People' started by ShadowForce, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I took these shots about 3 weeks ago in the studio. I haven't done much if any touchup in PS. I'm most interested in what you think about the lighting.

I used one main light and a reflector for fill for all but the one with the white dress. For that one, I used a second strobe for fill. Ratio was 2 to 1 (Main vs. fill).

Thanks!

159240956-M-LB.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

159241574-M-LB.jpg

159241592-M-LB.jpg

159241609-M-LB.jpg

2. I'm no pro BUT, I think lowering the ratio of Main to Fill (weakening your fill) And positioning your lights at slightly steeper angles, Would help.
    1 and 4 are my favorites of the ones you posted (4 definitely my pick)

Also maybe a softbox on your main light? Forehead glare is the devil, and while you have it mostly under control, Maybe even slightly softer light would help!

I know nothing technical about lighting theory, So I just go on feel, so take my advice with some skepticism!

Post more if you have em!

3. What kind of diffuser are you using on your key? The catchlights appear roundish but the light is "hot" so I'm guessing either nothing or an umbrella.

Regardless, I think the light should be softer... especially apparent in the second shot.

4. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    lexiticus,

Thanks for commenting. I'll try to post a couple of pics later today of a 3 to 1 main/fill ratio.

Good advice on the softbox. Someone told me that he thought the glare was a makeup issue. I know absolutely zero about makeup so I'm not sure if that is the issue or if it's more related to lighting.

5. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Czechman,

For my main light, I was using a shoot-through translucent umbrella. Is there a way to make the light "softer" without switching to a softbox?

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.