Please Critique Studio Shots

I took these shots about 3 weeks ago in the studio. I haven't done much if any touchup in PS. I'm most interested in what you think about the lighting.

I used one main light and a reflector for fill for all but the one with the white dress. For that one, I used a second strobe for fill. Ratio was 2 to 1 (Main vs. fill).

Thanks!

159240956-M-LB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

159241574-M-LB.jpg

159241592-M-LB.jpg

159241609-M-LB.jpg

I'm no pro BUT, I think lowering the ratio of Main to Fill (weakening your fill) And positioning your lights at slightly steeper angles, Would help.
1 and 4 are my favorites of the ones you posted (4 definitely my pick)

Also maybe a softbox on your main light? Forehead glare is the devil, and while you have it mostly under control, Maybe even slightly softer light would help!

I know nothing technical about lighting theory, So I just go on feel, so take my advice with some skepticism!

Post more if you have em!

lexiticus,

Thanks for commenting. I'll try to post a couple of pics later today of a 3 to 1 main/fill ratio.

Good advice on the softbox. Someone told me that he thought the glare was a makeup issue. I know absolutely zero about makeup so I'm not sure if that is the issue or if it's more related to lighting.

Czechman,

For my main light, I was using a shoot-through translucent umbrella. Is there a way to make the light "softer" without switching to a softbox?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom