Please critique this shot for Xmas card insert

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nothing too fancy here. They just wanted a shot they could insert into a Christmas card. Please comment on the lighting, pose, and the crop. Used a 48in Octabox about 20 some deg camera right, and a 24x36 softbox immediately camera left, and 2 reflected umbrellas on the white background. Is the lighting too flat here?
    original.
    Model NIKON D2X/28-70 f2.8
    Focal Length 52 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/5
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance Kelvin 5300
    Metering Mode matrix (
    Exposure Program manual

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Steve, I see a couple of things goiung on here. I see a litle flair on the males head probablly from you BG lights. I usually flag the off a bit.o I would have raise your key light a bit and reduced the fill by about 1 stop.

As for the pose, The smaller child's shoe is a little bit of a distraction, I would have raised up the older child and cropped so that the shoe is not visable. But overall good connection with the subjects.

Dan

3. Steve

Agree-ing with Dan, the only other thing Inoticed was the guys right hand next to the older girls head. Maybe position him to put his arm behind the woman - don't have to to see the hand/arm.

Nice touches with the girls though - holding the womans necklace and the other one with her pendant showing.

Nice composition.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Dan, that's what I thought, the fill was a bit too strong. I wasn't quite ready for them when they arrived, and by the time I even decided to add the fill some 30 shots later, the "natives" were growing quite restless, and I had to get something "in the can" asap, so didn't doing much adjusting of the fill and I don't have a meter, I just adjust on the fly. I think what you're seeing on Dave's head is shine from the main? As for Nat's shoe, well she was wearing her sis's, which were way too big for her, and would NOT take them off, but I see what you mean by them being distracting. Also see the need to raise older child higher.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Simon, I definitely noticed Dave's right hand in the shot where it should be behind the mom. Could try to clone that out before printing. Thanks for all your comments.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well I am not a lighting expert, but I can tell you this.
    That man over achieved!

7. I think they will be thrilled with the shot Steve. The man's hand could have been solved by raising the older girl up or you could easily clone it out. The highlights on the man's head could easily be fixed with the clone tool on darken at about 20%. I think it is a lovely image and with a couple of PS actions would make a very nice Christmas insert.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks Dave & Gordon. I think I will try to clone out his right hand, and tone down the bright spots on his forehead before I start printing. And ya, that guy definitely overachieved, Dave! :smile:

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    All of the suggestions you've gotten so far will help this become a master portrait. However to print up and send to family and friends, it'll look good. Remember, these are strangers to us, so we will notice tiny details that are out of place. To their familiars however, it'll look like them!

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Chris, I successfully cloned out his right hand, and lessened the bright spots on his head. Couldn't make the older girl any taller though :redface: Looks better now, and is going to print right now.

11. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Steve, No I'm talking about on his right side I see some flair in his hair from behind.
    I would just raise the older child and then crop a little off the bottom.

Overall good shot.
    Dan