Please examine my processing steps....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbenedic, Mar 10, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    for posting to pbase.

Shoot RAW, adobe RGB II.
    Open in PSCS, with NC converter.
    Levels, curves, etc.
    Resize to 850 pixels width.
    Convert to sRGB.
    USM, like....100, 1, 4
    Save as JPEG 10.

Thoughts??

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Your processing steps are logical and similar to that used by many others. I personally open the NEF in Capture and do the initial processing then save as a TIFF. From there I open in PS CS and then follow what you have described above.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Pat, Why do you use the Nikon plug-in with PSCS instead of ACR?

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Chris, Pat's working with his D2X, and ACR won't work w/it

not yet, anyway.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh yeah, that's right.

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Okay, those last two post don't make any sense - gotta love 'em because of that. :D

Anyway, mine is similar to Gordon and is what I originally derived from Yves. Do some processing in NC then open in PS(7 in my case) and finish off there. I don't do the save as Tiff until I'm in PS.

All this may change somewhat or a lot very shortly as I just ordered Ron's Ebook - the first step in becoming Reznicked.

Neil

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You're gonna love Ron's book Neil. It's the best $80 accessory I've got for my Nikon.

The last two posts didn't make sense because you need to read the fine print in Steve's subject line to get what he said. I just forgot that the D2x doesn't work with ACR as yet.

I would probably be riled if I had a D2x, but since I don't, it's like, "Oh well."

9. Sounds good, but I think you forgot the cherry on top! :wink: :) :lol:

10. Sounds good, only thing I would change is sharpening. I use 2 sharpening tools that are indispensable. 1st - pixelgenius.com has a terrific PS plug-in called PhotoKit sharpener. It's the most reliable sharpening workflow I have used. Check out the demo. I use it mainly for capture sharpening and then again for print sharpening. As an example, I use "digital med rez" and "medium edge sharpen". These are recommended for portraits of med rez digicams (4-8 MP). For the D2x you would probably use "high rez". This is the tip of the iceberg for the tool - it handles just about every sharpening need with some powerful tools that are easy to use.

The other tool is a simple plug-in by fredmiranda.com called WP Pro. It maintains sharpness when reducing size for web. Completely automated - all you do is input the long dimension (800 pixels for me) and it does a stair step reduction with mild sharpening. You CAN do this manually but why bother - it's cheap. :D

Here's an example of a pbase shot run through capture sharpen when it was full size then WP Pro before posting:

Here's a shot with smaller details that still looks very sharp on pbase:
    View attachment 6079

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

11. Hi Joe,

I too use Fred Miranda's WP Pro for downsizing my prints and think it is super. I have been using Fred's Intellisharpen II but will look into pixelgenius as I am always in the market for things that make my job easier. By the way, love the images of your daughter. Very nice as always.

12. Now that's a cute shot of your daughter. My girlfriend barely ever poses up for me. Too bad my nieces and nephews live in another state, they're like my favorite test subjects! Well done! :D

13. Thanks Gordon. I use FM's Custom Sharpen Pro once in a while - it's a nice quick fix when the shot is a tad blurry and I want stronger sharpening. I know his Intellisharpen II is a far more powerful tool. You should try pixelgenius and compare to FM's method - I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

Joe

14. Thanks very much Jonathan. My daughter loves the camera so she's always a willing model (lucky for me).

BTW, I hope you're feeling well.

Regards,

Joe

15. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Great help everyone.

Thanks.