Please explain this bend -> BOB

Hi,

I took this shot last Sunday! I'd expect the bat to flex backward on contact with the ball?!?
Is the 'flex' already on it's way back? Or is it an optical 'illusion'?

Thanks for looking, kinds regards.... Bart

flexindemarini.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He was definitely not holding up his swing, although the ball ended up foul I think. I did some research in the meantime and it's supposedly the rebound effect of an aluminum bat. So in this case the bat is on it's way back I guess.

I would have guessed he was checking his swing but since he wasnt, it would have to be the bat snapping back from it's initial bend. If it is coming back at that point in his swing, I think he may have a flaw in his swing. Not relavent to your question, just an observation. He may have what we call a "long swing", which would explain why he is late on that pitch.

This is typical of any flexible shaft sport. Golf clubs show it the most of course since they flex more....but the quest for lighter bats has caused it to occur more noticeably in baseball too. Such energy is stored in the initial accelleration of the swing, that as the bat/club approaches the hitting area, the stored energy is released by the shaft/bat resulting in the rather odd looking reverse bend as the head catches and passes the grip since due to common physics of any circular motion...the speed is much greater at the outside end of the circle..think merry go round...the longer the club/bat, the greater the difference in speeds between the grip/hands and the club head/bat barrel.

It is NOT a swing flaw...nor a bat flaw...nor a checked swing. Its power...unleashed. He's really not late either.....the ball it out in front of the plate, and even with his front foot. Textbook.
If he was late...the ball would have traveled more into the zone...the bat angle would be drastically different, shooting the ball towards the right side...which clearly it is not in this photo. If I had to guess I'd say its a ground ball between 3rd n short :biggrin:

I still think he's late and/or has a long swing. He should have more extension at that point. It looks like he is trying to compensate for being a bit behind by pulling his hands through, or it could be that the ball is farther inside than it looks. Sometimes you to pull your hands through on the ball that's in. That could be it too.

The only reason I am thinking long swing is it seems like the bounce back of the bat should occur a little bit later. Most pictures I see at that point, the bat is back to square or just short or past. With a "long" swing, the bat moves out and around a bit to start with instead of directly toward the zone so I imagine it might coil and release earlier. Almost like most of the energy is already expended.

Hopefully I am not coming across argumentative. I just like talking baseball.

All that said, it is a fantastic shot.

It's the bat, DeMarini's create a whip kind of swing. I have used a few DeMarini's and you can feel it through the swing.

it is NOT bounce back

and the bat flex has nothing to do with long vs short swings...its about the power, and the stored potential energy releasing into kinetic energy....Albert Pujols has a very short swing...but its one of the most powerful in all of baseball.

it is NOT bounce back

and the bat flex has nothing to do with long vs short swings...its about the power, and the stored potential energy releasing into kinetic energy....Albert Pujols has a very short swing...but its one of the most powerful in all of baseball.

But swing type, proper or not proper, would dictate WHEN the energy is released. A long swing, which is improper, can release the energy too soon which would affect the bat flex, or at least the timing of the bat flex. No doubt there is a good deal of power involved in the above swing. I am just thinking the energy in the bat has been released too soon. With respect to your example, I dont think you would see Pujols' bat flexed toward the pitcher to that degree at impact.

Things happen fast so it might just be a click before or after and it would look normal to me but this one strikes me as odd timing.

Dustin Pedroia does it just fine with a long swing....long or short isnt about what happens at impact...its about how you got there...its NOT improper to have a long swing...although its harder to be consistently "on" with your timing.

With that bat....Pujols would look like spaghetti. You cant change physics....look at the reverse flex in Tiger woods shaft compared to the average hack....its astounding the difference....power creates it...the more you have the more you have (yogi berra)

i'd just let it be what it is and stop trying to over analyze it and just enjoy it for what it is...

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Brad is right on the money with his explanation of this. And you will see this with any batter using an aluminum bat, swinging that hard. It is totally normal.

Not quite enough power to get the head moving fast enough to get it to bend the other way...
p657764740-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These new two piece bats is the reason for all this flex in the handles. One piece aluminum bats didn't/don't give as much as these carbon handle two piece bats do. As a hitter I LOVE the whip effect from two piece bats, I have not picked up a one piece bat in over 5 years.

These new two piece bats is the reason for all this flex in the handles. One piece aluminum bats didn't/don't give as much as these carbon handle two piece bats do. As a hitter I LOVE the whip effect from two piece bats, I have not picked up a one piece bat in over 5 years.
hahhaha
yeah its nice, but to be real honest...i'd much rather they went back to all wood bats. It shouldnt be about technology. It should be about hitting. Todays bats are just ridiculous.

They did start toning it down. The new BBCOR bats are supposed to simulate wood and it is seen in the NCAA games, less home runs throughout the entire play. I agree about the wood though, it would be fun to swing wood but it gets expensive.

hahhaha
yeah its nice, but to be real honest...i'd much rather they went back to all wood bats. It shouldnt be about technology. It should be about hitting. Todays bats are just ridiculous.

With you 100%. As a former pitcher, it started getting scary. Some of those guys are far too big and strong to be swinging such light bats. I was afraid for my dental work.

agree about the wood though, it would be fun to swing wood but it gets expensive.
????? Hmmmmm....I just picked up a couple more woodies for 39 bucks a piece.....I've had Carolina Clubs make em custom for me at 70 bucks...sure you break a couple here and there, but with the high tech bats at 3-500 bucks a pop....its hard to call wood expensive by comparison.

????? Hmmmmm....I just picked up a couple more woodies for 39 bucks a piece.....I've had Carolina Clubs make em custom for me at 70 bucks...sure you break a couple here and there, but with the high tech bats at 3-500 bucks a pop....its hard to call wood expensive by comparison.

I was going to say, those high tech bats cant be cheap either.

Carolina Clubs used to be about 300 yards from where I am sitting. Not sure if he is still over there. If it is the same family who owned it last I knew, they are good people.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom