Please help-Major CF Card Panic Attack! Need explanation...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bendheim, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Was this User Error, Camera Error or Card Error?

The story. Went to shoot a lovely assignment on a violin maker today, the last in South Africa.Great ligthing. Natural.

D2H, Sandisk Extreme 2GB card, formatted.

Took 130 shots, looked great on the screen. Back at the office, pull 256K Canon card out of Mac CF card reader, forgetting to do the proper card eject procedure.

Put in D2H Sandisk Extreme. Still see Canon icon on desktop. Thinks "Damn, forgot eject procedure" Pull out D2H Sandisk, reinsert.. Great, icon appears on desktop..

Open file...says zero items, no nothing (but it's used 1GB of space)
    Put card in D2h, says No images in Folder....

Flat panic, near suicidal, near tears. Rush home in the car, find Rescue software and run it. Whew, most of the pictures are saved, but about 10 have multitechnicolor stripes through them, corrupted, in no particular order.

But I've got most of them. So what was the problem ? I've pulled out cards before without a problem, forgetting to eject properly. I definitely switch the D2H off before removing the card.

My error ? Should I be worried about the card's reliability. Or the camera?

Please advise if this has happened to you or if you have a likely explanation. Much appreciated in advance.

2. Peter,

I have had a problem simliar to yours. I had trouble with my CF reader. Have you tried unplugging and plugging your reader in your CPU? :? :?

3. Thanks Daniel

The CF reader at the office, AND the one at home, AND the camera would not see any images on the card. But just before I took the card out the cam, all the images reviewd just fine on the cam monitor.

Only the Rescue software did the job of recovering most of the files. So I don't think it was the reader, unless my first insertion into the reader corrupted the card ????

PB

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: Please help-Major CF Card Panic Attack! Need explanation

Peter :

I've had similar conditions with pulling a card prematurely. We can do this so many times without thinking about the less common circumstance.

One card was fried, dead, toes up. The other re-formatted and is still in use.

I'm told that the following SW is good for these circumstances, but I can't personally attest to using it.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

... or is that what you used for recovery?

John P.

5. Thanks John, OK, silly user error on my part. Thought so...just hope the card formats though...it's my "best" card.
    Yes. it was Photorescue. Did an OK job.

With a bit of luck, you will get to see the violin pictures - if you want to, of course !

Thanks for the reply.

6. BRING ON THE PICTURES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Of course we want to see your pics Peter. Especially after all we've been through to help recover them.... :lol: :lol:

Frank

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Whew!

I once pulled a CF card out of the PC card slot of my Powerbook while on the road. Trouble was, it was my friend's card with about 50 shots from La Jolla on it. BAM! the card was corrupted and needed a full format before it would work again. Needless to say the pictures were gone. I'm glad you had the presence of mind to recover them!

By the way, my friend is talking to me again. :)

I've learned my lesson: never pull a card from a Mac without dismounting it first!

9. When you have your card in the Card Reader:

1. Do you pull out when transfer is done and light is not blinking ?

or

2. Do you pull out when transfer is done, light is not blinking and EJECT step is performed ?

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Peter :

Well, good luck on the card. They're somewhat robust devices, all taken in all with the uses we give them, but they have limits. It's a good practise to turn off the camera when one is removing them as well, although I make mistakes there, too.

And as for the photographs, well, of course I would enjoy seeing them.

John P.

11. Thanks, everyone. I'm NEVER going to take out a card like that again. I nearly had heart failiure. User error deluxe!

The violin pictures will come soon, Im still "fiddling" around with them.....

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    PENALTY BOX !

Now. No delays.

13. Ok, alright, already....it's there under photoessays...I love that D2H...big files, so I hope you like violins!!!!!!!!!