Please help me beat this question to death a little more

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I have been contemplating an upgrade from the D50 to either a D200 or D300. The minister of finance has given her approval:smile:, but I can't decide which option to go with.

Here are my choices as I see them:

1. Purchase a D200 and keep the D50 for the higher ISO advantage. I sometimes shoot grand children's basketball games and concerts indoors. I could spend less money and have two bodies.

2. Purchase the D300 and sell the D50. Apparently would still have high ISO capabilities. I could also sell my 50 f1.8 AF-D, as the D300 has 3200
    and even 6400 ISO. I have several f2.8 lens options for indoor and low light use. Money out of pocket would be within a couple hundred dollars either way.

3. Wait a little while and see if prices drop after D90/D700 hits the market.

My shooting is primarily a mixed bag of scenery, macro, softball games, basketball games, wildlife, and family events. Strictly hobby, not professional.

To those of you who have upgraded from the D200 to D300, was it worth the difference in money? Would you go back to a D200, and why or why not?

All the talk here about the AF issues, skin tone issues, blown out red channel, etc. has me wondering if the D200 might be a better option. But, I really like the idea of being able to fine tune AF for individual lenses, and the reported better battery life of the D300. Live view seems interesting, but not sure if I would use it.

Lets hear your opinion, please!

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I just posted the same question Tom

seems the consensus was for the D300, mainly for the better high ISO performance

I was at B&H Sunday and handled both again
    truthfully, I preferred the feel of the D200 over the D300, not sure why
    just felt better contured to the hand

I am debating this over and over, and may just well wait for the D90 (?) myself
    if it has the ISO/ sensor of the D300, that may be all I need
    don't care about live view or 51 AF points really
    I would like the metering of AIS lenses though............

3. Thanks, Frank. Sounds as if we are thinking alike. I'm not really excited about the 51 pt. AF either. Sorry if I repeated nearly the same question. I have been reading so much recently, my head is hurting:biggrin:.

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    me too
    esp now that the D200 new is only $1k, makes it tougher than when it was still $1250

BTW, having a second body is nice
    I intend to keep my D50, no matter which I decide on

problem is, I don't want to take both everywhere, obviously

the D300 affords from great light to very low, all in one

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  5. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i'm in this same siutation. I feel like Im growing out of my d40, want to upgrade to a better camera. But with the price drop of the d300, and those price will drop more once the d700 is released. Its tempting. I see the price of the d200. But rumors of this D90 to release sometime in August.

Im just going to wait...

6. This should be an interesting thread. The "new" has worn off the d300, so, hopefully, early adopters who upgraded from s d200 will offer up objective comparisons.

There's a lot of merit in having a backup camera, but don't expect to get a lot of use out of your d50 if you buy a d200. You'll fall in love with the d200, the d50 will mostly gather dust. Just ask Nute.

To me, the most appealing feature of the d300 is the larger, high res lcd. I haven't seen enough difference in high iso performance to tempt me, but I've seen a surprising difference in the way the two cameras render skin tones. That's of utmost importance to me, since I have a strong subject bias towards people.

My kid brother is about to sell his Hasselblad gear and buy his first dslr. For what it's worth, I recommended he grab one of those brand new $1,000 d200s before the pipeline empties.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    If you go for the D300, I'd keep the 50mm 1.8. You won't get a lot for it, and I think it's the best value lens you can buy. The D300 isn't that great at 3200, you'd be better trying to keep it at 1600 and below.

Unless you need 2 bodies to use at the same time (and save changing lenses) I think you'd be better off with the D300. It's focusing will be better for the sports you shoot, its low level light is better than the D50. I think it's better than the D50 and D200 at all of the things you list.

It's easy to read too much into these subjective issues, the D300 is a great camera. It has better dynamic range than the D200, so blowing channels should be less of a problem than with the D200. I've read enough on the differences in skin tone and the D300 seems good enough to me (gives the same as the D3 afaik).

8. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    My very brief answer having owned all three cameras is that the D300 is the better camera.
    However, I recommend to spend some time comapring images taken w/ the D300 to what you're used to now, which is the D50/D200 color and curve renditions.
    It seems as if Nikon has taken a different approach with these new cameras.
    In my case I still prefer the colors of my D50 or the D200 to the D300, but colors are a matter of taste, so take your pick.

9. Thanks Uncle Frank. I have been able to handle only the D300, so I am lusting for it. I still want to go on a road trip and get some hands-on time with a D200. Most shops within 60 miles have only the D300 now, and don't want to talk about anything else. I have always admired your work. You do the D200 proud.

Have you any issues with AF on the D200? (edit... Saw your BIF photo on the other thread. Looks good.) Can you tell me if metering would work with an AF screw drive lens coupled to the D200 through Nikon extension tubes. Thinking of macro or close-up with 300f4.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  10. Thanks Trigaaar, Your advice makes sense, also. I guess the only solution is a D200 and a D300:biggrin::biggrin:. I don't think the MOF will go for that, though. Seriously, I do like the ability to fine tune AF lenses on the D300.

11. Thanks, Luis. I will do what you suggest. I suppose that is the most important factor, whether I like the colors and also overall look of the images. Looks like more research is in order. It's good to hear what others are thinking though.

12. Thanks to all who have replied so far. Please keep the comments and opinions coming. Comparison photos would be helpful, too.

13. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Like Uncle Frank mentioned, the D200 is now officially out of production, so retailers will be selling out their inventory.

While this might mean an even lower price, it also means that you need to decide before the inventory of new D200's runs out.

14. The only problem I've had with AF was figuring out what all the different modes are and when to use them :rolleyes: . I have had decent results with a prime (180/2.8), a non-AF-S telephoto zoom (80-200/2.8 AF), and an AF-S telephoto zoom (70-300VR).

It should, as long as you use an f-mount compatible extension tube. I've seen some excellent results using the 300/4 with tubes.

15. Thanks

16. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I wouldn't sell the 50f1.8 lens. They're so inexpensive you wouldn't get much for it anyway and at times 1.8 instead of 2.8 might be very appreciated.

17. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Having gone from the D50 to the D300, I can honestly say it was worth it. I would get the D300, keep the D50 as a all around use camera and certainly keep the 50mm for the indoor BB games. The D300 with the 50mm is a charm combonation under the net.

Maybe a little over processed but much better then the D50 would do in some of these poorly lit gyms.
    2296373483_5a0b0f0058.

18. I like your shot very much. I guess the 50 is a keeper in either case. Now to decide what to do. Thanks for your input

19. Yep! You are correct. Thanks for the comment.

20. LOL. Maybe that is what I need to finally make a decision. Why do I make everything so difficult?:confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.