Please help me choose a wide angle!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Coresounder, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I've got some big jobs coming up and am in need of a wide angle in the 10mm area, or wider. My 24mm is nowhere close to the angle I need.

The first thing I will use it for is a very large full church interior (with all the members in the church). The pastor wants the shot from the back of the church
    and he wants to see as much of the church as possible.

The second thing would be wedding usage.

The only two lenses that are coming to mind are the Nikon 10.5 or the Sigma 10-20. I would love to see some interior shots from both of these lenses if you have some. It would be awesome to see side by side of the lenses in the same location.

Are there any other lenses out there that may fit the bill?
    I had thought of the 12-24, but I really believe I need wider.
    Then there is the decision of fisheye or rectilinear????

Oh, I've got a few months to decide, but thought I'd better start looking now.

2. Wider than 10mm doesn't really exist unless you get into fisheyes. How have you determined that you need wider than 10mm??? :eek: I have posted a comparison of focal lengths at http://images.blw.net/blw/focal_lengths

Even at 10mm you get a huge amount of distortion - that means perspective distortion, not optical errors. If you take a picture of a group of people and you're so close to them that you need a 10mm to get them in, you will discover that the ones on the ends look quite, uh, "thick" (literally). Very unflattering. Superwide lenses distort perspective - that's what they do, and it's just physics. These issues are the exact opposite of what I'd want from pictures of my wedding.

You can find lenses with shorter focal lengths or wider FOV - but they are all fisheyes, meaning that straight lines get curved, sometimes very curved if they are toward the edges of the image. It can be useful in some circumstances, but you have to deal with some issues like minimizing the impact of the curved lines, and lighting can be tricky with a lot of mixed types in such a wide FOV. Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

If somehow you really do need need a rectilinear lens wider than the Sigma 10-20, you have a special case. About the only thing I can suggest is a Sigma 12-24 or a Voightlander 12/f5.6 mounted on a 36x24 camera. Of course Nikon don't make a DSLR like that, so your choices then would be Canon or a Nikon film body and scanning. (The Voightlander does not fit Canon.) This combination is almost ridiculously wide. Like this:
    62280001-palace-of-fine-art.
    You can see the obvious distortion at the edges. I was standing about four feet from the building, which gives you a little idea of how wide this is.

Anyway, I suggest that you re-evaluate how wide you really need to go.

3. How have I determined that I need a wider angle?
    I have not determined, that is the reason of this post.
    I do know that 12mm is not wide enough, because I have used one
    in this same church about a year ago.

Also, I cannot re-evaluate until I evaluate from the replies I get here
    and elsewhere.

4. I'm impressed with the demo of Fisheye-Hemi. Do you have any samples to show us too? I think the Nikkor 10.5 is probably a much better choice for me than the Tokina 10-17.

5. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Edward,
    That looks really great. I like the idea of your workflow.
    It's kinda like with the fisheye, you have the best of both worlds.
    I do believe it will be between the Nikon 10.5 or the Sigma 10-20,
    the Nikon is also a stop faster and constant aperture.

7. Thanks, Dan
    Yes, I've been keeping close tabs on the Sigma. It's going
    to be possibly the toughest choice of lenses I've ever made.
    It would be great if anyone could do a side by side of the
    two lenses. I love the looks of both lenses alike.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Thats real cool. This lens sure has some good advantages.

9. Good luck with your choice - two fine lenses I think.

BTW - I like your website. Very classy, good colors. Is that the Platte at high tide on your homepage? :wink:

10. Thanks, Mike!
    That happens to be my other home...coast of North Carolina :wink: