Please help me improve

[IMGO]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eGoI2aLv3M0/UZJC9iFmkiI/AAAAAAAAATY/XfB3sGyImso/s640/DSC_3177.jpg[/IMGO]

Have been wanting to improve my portrait skills as I always feel getting the right moment is challenging for me. Captured this picture when my niece was dozing off in my wife's arm.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Soon.

---

Thanks for the valuable feedbacks, I have cropped the image somewhat, and I love the effect! Thanks guys!
[IMGO]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IcKeDltr3gA/UZNXtp6TemI/AAAAAAAAATo/GBO3lhyv7Gc/s1600/DSC_3177+copy.jpg[/IMGO]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Soon,
I think the composition looks okay and the processing is great.
My only problem when it comes to people sharing is that they share small images.
Hard to really appreciate images that way.

Hey Soon,
I think the composition looks okay and the processing is great.
My only problem when it comes to people sharing is that they share small images.
Hard to really appreciate images that way.

Hi Donski, thanks for the kind words; really appreciate it. I am new to posting, and took your advice to try out the IMGO tag. It definitely looks bigger now, and definitely looks better.

Thanks so much again!

The composition looks fine, to me, and you've captured a very sweet moment. While the subject is in the center, your wife's face on the right and negative space on the left each provide context and interest.

I would like to have seen you move a little to your left so the baby's face (a cute one, by the way) is clear of the hand.

Realize, too, that most photographic critique is very subjective...and that there's nothing wrong with breaking the rule of thirds. :wink:

Hi Soon
I think you did fine, I personaly would like a bit more crop, so that the hand of your niece is not looking like a unfocused something.
Pictures are personal, and most shots are memories, so do a lot of shooting, and enjoy the ones that turn out good ,o)
Nico

Hello Soon,

I do like the shot as taken, perhaps a little closer to the subject and a little less of the background to the viewers left and an aperture of around 2.8 would be better. Remember to work the subject. Different angles, apertures, lighting.

It all depends on what you were going for...

Why did you take this image?

Was it specifically for a portrait?

Was it specifically for a snapshot?

if its for a portrait then it really doesn't work as this has the appearance of a snapshot of a casual moment in time.

You can apply rules like rule of thirds, composition etc but at the end of the day a snap shot is just a snapshot....

that doesnt mean its a bad picture it just conveys a different meaning.

The baby is in someone elses arms....
the baby has one eye open....

if you are going for more of a portrait type shot then:

Be more patient and wait till the baby has eyes open or closed....
don't take the image of the baby in someone else's arm but instead have them baby on its own so nothing is taking away from the subject which is the baby.

hope this helps a little bit and don't let any of this discourage you and thanks for sharing!

The composition looks fine, to me, and you've captured a very sweet moment. While the subject is in the center, your wife's face on the right and negative space on the left each provide context and interest.

I would like to have seen you move a little to your left so the baby's face (a cute one, by the way) is clear of the hand.

Realize, too, that most photographic critique is very subjective...and that there's nothing wrong with breaking the rule of thirds. :wink:

Thank you so much BBD, you are right that the baby's face is a little obstructed, will definitely pay more attention to this in future. Great tips!

Hi Soon
I think you did fine, I personaly would like a bit more crop, so that the hand of your niece is not looking like a unfocused something.
Pictures are personal, and most shots are memories, so do a lot of shooting, and enjoy the ones that turn out good ,o)
Nico

Thanks so much Nico, I have cropped it a little based on your feedbacks, and I love the result. I feel it's more personal now. Thanks for the tips! Cheers!

It all depends on what you were going for...

Why did you take this image?

if its for a portrait then it really doesn't work as this has the appearance of a snapshot of a casual moment in time.

You can apply rules like rule of thirds, composition etc but at the end of the day a snap shot is just a snapshot....

that doesnt mean its a bad picture it just conveys a different meaning.

The baby is in someone elses arms....
the baby has one eye open....

if you are going for more of a portrait type shot then:

Be more patient and wait till the baby has eyes open or closed....
don't take the image of the baby in someone else's arm but instead have them baby on its own so nothing is taking away from the subject which is the baby.

hope this helps a little bit and don't let any of this discourage you and thanks for sharing!

Thanks nextelbuddy, really grateful for the great tips! In retrospect, you are right that this looks more like a casual snapshot than a formal portrait. Very very great questions about:

"Why did you take this image?

"

"Be more patient and wait till the baby has eyes open or closed....
"

It really got me thinking about how I should approach my next capture. Cheers!

Ah! I interpreted it as more of a snapshot. It's still a nice capture of a sweet moment.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom